Common knowledge isn’t so common after all…

J E CUSTOM

That is a pretty remarkable story. Sounds like 8 benches away may not have been enough. What did the guy do after the gun blew up? Did he say anything to you, like, wow I should have listened?

I went to check on him but he would never look at me. I did move up wind though after I saw he was ok. over the years I have witnessed a few mishaps (muzzle brakes being shot off, one guy shot the ram rod out of his muzzleloader because he had heard that was common during the civil war
and he wanted to see where it would go). he never found it. But the rifle blowing up was the scariest.

This was the second time that I had heard a rifle sound like that but the first time I stopped the guy
and he said to me that he though it sounded funny. So I ask him to remove the bolt and look down the barrel when he did, he went white (There was a bullet stuck in the barrel) we took the jag off my one piece cleaning rod so the bullet nose would fit into it and wrapped some electrician tape around the end to prevent it from marking the barrel. I told him if it didn't come out just bumping it with our hand a couple of times that we would have to stop to prevent any damage. It came out after only a couple of tries.

He thanked me over and over again for stopping him from firing the rifle. So I have always tried to help when I could, but some wont listen.

J E CUSTOM

This was the second time that I had heard a rifle sound like that but the first time I stopped the guy
and he said to me that he though it sounded funny. So I ask him to remove the bolt and look down the barrel when he did, he went white (There was a bullet stuck in the barrel) we took the jag off my one piece cleaning rod so the bullet nose would fit into it and wrapped some electrician tape around the end to prevent it from marking the barrel. I told him if it didn't come out just bumping it with our hand a couple of times that we would have to stop to prevent any damage. It came out after only a couple of tries.

He thanked me over and over again for stopping him from firing the rifle. So I have always tried to help when I could, but some wont listen.

J E CUSTOM

Had a similar incident with my 458 socom. I shot, deer wasn't dead or dying and saw not dust or dirt kick up. I was rather dumbfounded as to what had happened and the deer seemed to act like nothing happened I pressed the trigger again and it was mushy hadn't reset so I was even more dumbfounded. I switched rifles and got the deer. After letting the rifle set for ~15minutes I decided to see what was what. I could get the bolt to cycle regardless of how hard I pulled on the charging handle soon after I decided to take my flash light and peak down the barrel and saw a bullet stuck about 1/4 way down the barrel from the chamber. Good thing the bolt seized up on me!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.