Common errors causing ES issues!!

jeepnsammys

Just looking for some tips that help with keeping ES down? Are there any common mistakes that can be avoided or things that are overlooked while reloading that play a major part in ES issues? Powders, neck tension, primers anything that pertains or is overlooked alot?

Just looking for some tips that help with keeping ES down? Are there any common mistakes that can be avoided or things that are overlooked while reloading that play a major part in ES issues? Powders, neck tension, primers anything that pertains or is overlooked alot?

Everything you just said are factors, seating depth will also affect it. When doing load developement I try several different primers, seating depths, neck tension etc. It all matters.

Being consistent when reloading.

Everything should be as close to the same as possible.
I start with case prep. all cases are sized, trimmed,turned,flash holes De-burred,primer pockets
cleaned and all cases are weighed or volume tested and sorted within 1 grain batches.

Check the bullets for weight,diameter and meplat and sort accordingly.

Try not to handle primers with bare hands (Skin oil will contaminate them).they should seat with
the same force. (I don't use the press for this because you don't have the feel)I use a priming tool.

When assembling ammo use good practices and try to be consistent.

All of these steps may not be necessary but if you do everything you can It will produce low SDs
when you find the right components for your rifle.

Make one change at a time and use a good chronograph.

Any single digit SD is good. if you can get in the low teens (11 to 15 ft/sec) you are good. if you can
get at or below 5 ft/sec consider yourself done and go hunting.

J E CUSTOM

Hey guys, sorry to butt in, but I have a quick question. I am new to this reloading thing, and have just started reloading for myself. I'm trying to learn as much as possible, but sometimes I don't understand the abreviasions used in some conversations. For example ES and SD. Would one of you please enlighten me as to what these stand for please. Thanks.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.