commercial mauser owners

mrbigtexan

i recently read an article that the commercial mauser is about dead, but i like them the most of all rifle designs. just curious what others thought and who all liked and used the commercial mausers.

I have a custom 270 win on the fn supreme mauser 98 action. It was allegedly built by po ackley. But, I've replaced the nice fajen wood stock with a hogue including the full length aluminum bedding block and rebarrelled with a shillen select match barrel.

It's an excellent hunting rifle. Comfortable, reliable, accurate.

Just about every commercial bolt rifle today owes something to the mauser 98.

-- richard

I have one I built with a Pacnor barrel in 7mm Rem Mag, I am getting 7 inch shot groups at 975 yards
P9140181.jpg

P1220190.jpg

The Fabrique National Herstale "FN" actions can be found on so many different rifles sold in the U.S. under names like, Colt, Sears-Roebuck, Weatherby and Browning to name a few that I'm surprised this thread didn't receive more responses. Browning Safari's are made on those FN actions and then stamped with their brand from the late 50's into the mid 70's. Both the FN Supreme and Browning Safari versions are very well finished, but a "Plain Jane" Montgomery Wards stamped rifle will have a very nice high quality finish on it. Find one in good condition, have a premium barrel fitted to it and build yourself a timeless classic hunter worthy of being passed from one generation to the next.

Attachments

• browning-fn-mauser-in-.375-hh1.jpg
    browning-fn-mauser-in-.375-hh1.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 28
saw plenty of modern Mauser made Mausers over the last decade, plenty of Rigby highland stalkers made on them as well
very nice actions still and with modern tech in the mix they shoot good and cycle as smooth as anything out there.

the Mauser market is drying out, only took a century. The gunsmithing school I attended required a Mauser for the first rifle build and we were digging through the bottom of the barrel, literally often, that was a decade ago.

I still find them "walking about" in gunshows. The last one I bought (Nov 2023) had PO Ackley stamped on the barrel and the guy selling it was apologetic that it was "just a 30.06". I gave him a suggestion and offered that a properly loaded 30.06, shooting a bullet complementing a given barrel twist rate was going to knock the socks off of most, if not all, North American game one might desire. (I find 165-180 grains normally does the trick.

I quickly paid him the meager price he had it marked For Sale and told him it was going to "a good home." It now has a prestigious location in my "go to" rack - Good Hunting!

I still find them "walking about" in gunshows. The last one I bought (Nov 2023) had PO Ackley stamped on the barrel and the guy selling it was apologetic that it was "just a 30.06". I gave him a suggestion and offered that a properly loaded 30.06, shooting a bullet complementing a given barrel twist rate was going to knock the socks off of most, if not all, North American game one might desire. (I find 165-180 grains normally does the trick.

I quickly paid him the meager price he had it marked For Sale and told him it was going to "a good home." It now has a prestigious location in my "go to" rack - Good Hunting!

Old thread or not, nothing wrong with a good mauser, commercial or military, put together probably they will get the job done, some of the finest rifles ever built, have been built around the mauser action, I've owned many fine rifles, varmint and target, my true love is the big game rifle, the rifles that sported nesieka bay, hall, kelby, Ed Brown actions have gone away, but the mausers have and will continue to stay, some have wood some, some synthetic, 25-06 custom, 338 Win Browning high power safari grade, 416 Taylor custom, and a 425 Westly Richards, that one may go away not sure I can afford to shoot that one anymore in today's world,

I "built" a 284 Win on a Whitworth Mark X rifle.
Can't remember who made the action for them.
Took the 270 Win barrel off & screwed an E.R. Shaw 1.5 contour, 24" barrel on.
B&C Medalist stock.
With a Sightron SII that thing still weighed 10lbs!!!

Was too heavy for me as a hunting rifle, too light for a match rifle.

I've got my grandfather's interarms . It's highly accurate but far ,far from the stock gun . Was a wood stock blue barrel 243 . It's now a 7-08 with a 26inch brux #5 Timney trigger and a McMillan a3 adjustable stock . It's got a 5x25x56 atacr on top and a suppressor at the end. Shoots 140 ttsx better than the guy behind it can.

Attachments

• IMG_20230301_081815.jpg
    IMG_20230301_081815.jpg
    534.8 KB · Views: 28