Comment Period for MT 313 and 316 Quota Changes Fast Approaching!

Just saw our wonderful F@G reduced the quota's around Yellowstone and didnt open up opportunities in Region 1
Again more reasons to " NOT" reduce numbers.

I figured as much- a least that is what everyone and his Uncle told me was gonna happen.
What I'd like to know is why a small handful of politically get to make decisions like that? There is absolutely ZERO science behind it, and their decision will ultimately hurt FWP because the more wolves we have the fewer hunting licenses will be sold.

Did they also adopt their new plan for the Shoulder Seasons?

All I read was reduced in west central shoulder seasons. This is absolute B.S.
I've lost all faith in Montana F@G.
Montana is on the fast track to be as liberal as the Left Coast

I know what you mean.

At the Billings meeting, they explained that the shoulder seasons in almost the entire Region 5 were not effective at bringing the herds closer to their goals.
Their solution???
Eliminate them and replace them with a special tag that we can purchase for an opportunity to hunt antlerless until, I believe, the first of the year.

So, apparently, if we can't kill enough cows with a tag we already have- charging us for an additional tag and shortening the season by 6 weeks should DEFINITELY work!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not real big on shooting cow elk in February but their plan still got a chuckle out of me.

It's all about access. If all these big landowners want elk off their property, they need to allow hunting- plain and simple. To me, if they don't allow hunting they should not be given any money for the damage that the elk do.

Does that pertain to the paper last week Sherm where they talked about 10 wolf tags and a longer season?

I just wanted to encourage everyone (again) to go to the MTFWP website and oppose any reduction in the quotas in 313 and 316!

It appears that the number of wolves in the Park is declining from NATURAL causes like disease and infighting- things that happen when a predator species kills too many of their prey- and apparently some within the FWP Commission want to help them out by cutting short our opportunities.

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/publicComments/2019/biennialSeasonSetting.html

Scroll down to #12, select "Comment" and tell them that 313 and 316 ARE NOT IN THE PARK.

With having such a small quota already they are adding wolves to an already crowded situation.

For those who don't understand their quota system, as soon as 2 wolves are killed in either of those areas the season closes in that area- it's not 2 wolves per person it's 2 wolves TOTAL!

There are way more than 2 wolf pups born in those areas every year, so as it stands they are already adding to the problem!

Again, please go to their website and let your opinion be known. I've heard it said that "they'll just do what they want anyway" but you can't bitch if you didn't at least voice your opinion!!!!

Also, don't forget there are FWP Public Comment Meetings tomorrow night in Billings, Wednesday night in Red Lodge, and Thursday night in Big Timber!

All the meetings start at 7:00, meeting places are listed on the above link.
Same as usfw banning polar bear imports. So with one stroke of a pen they killed all guiding in Canada. Income for the villages. Canada sure doesn,t have a problem with hunting polar bears!!! You want to ^%$# something up? Involve a government agency.

Ten wolf tags and a longer season?
How many guys are filling their 5 now? I know we have nowhere near the wolves you guys have, but I can count on one hand the number of guys I know who have killed A wolf, much less 5 in one year.

That was in the Interlake resent in last week or two.And I know more than one that get there limit,with traps.So id just soon those guys have more tags an more season.One guy with his son included got 4 so far rifle.

I get the Interlake,read it every morn,should have saved it.But local,you know some same stuff in Becon or Pilot.They made it sound like it was going forward..I thought? Guess not.We all know hunting not answer,but if open all time,more are likely to get shot.I was hitting hard,but warmed up,quit snowing much and crashed my ride

If you go to the F@G website were the proposals were introduced on Dec 5th the ones highlighted in yellow were adopted.

I believe the only way this wolf thing is gonna change is get our lawmakers to force F@G to declassify the wolves from game animal to predator and my Hope's arent very high for that either.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.