Comment Period for MT 313 and 316 Quota Changes Fast Approaching!

MtPockets

I just wanted to encourage everyone (again) to go to the MTFWP website and oppose any reduction in the quotas in 313 and 316!

It appears that the number of wolves in the Park is declining from NATURAL causes like disease and infighting- things that happen when a predator species kills too many of their prey- and apparently some within the FWP Commission want to help them out by cutting short our opportunities.

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/publicComments/2019/biennialSeasonSetting.html

Scroll down to #12, select "Comment" and tell them that 313 and 316 ARE NOT IN THE PARK.

With having such a small quota already they are adding wolves to an already crowded situation.

For those who don't understand their quota system, as soon as 2 wolves are killed in either of those areas the season closes in that area- it's not 2 wolves per person it's 2 wolves TOTAL!

There are way more than 2 wolf pups born in those areas every year, so as it stands they are already adding to the problem!

Again, please go to their website and let your opinion be known. I've heard it said that "they'll just do what they want anyway" but you can't bitch if you didn't at least voice your opinion!!!!

Also, don't forget there are FWP Public Comment Meetings tomorrow night in Billings, Wednesday night in Red Lodge, and Thursday night in Big Timber!

All the meetings start at 7:00, meeting places are listed on the above link.

Last edited:
Do you really think that your comment is going to have any pull? This option to comment is just the procedural process. If it makes you feel better comment. This wolf season setting is all political. The fight was lost 10 years ago.
For the record, the wolves are flourishing, but if the elk living in Yellowstone Park have been significantly reduced in numbers, by predation or migration, do you think the wolves will stay in Yellowstone?

Somebody asked the ? at the Kalispell meeting,and the reply was as Rooster said."OTHER people want to see the wolfs"

I just wanted to encourage everyone (again) to go to the MTFWP website and oppose any reduction in the quotas in 313 and 316!

It appears that the number of wolves in the Park is declining from NATURAL causes like disease and infighting- things that happen when a predator species kills too many of their prey- and apparently some within the FWP Commission want to help them out by cutting short our opportunities.

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/publicComments/2019/biennialSeasonSetting.html

Scroll down to #12, select "Comment" and tell them that 313 and 316 ARE NOT IN THE PARK.

With having such a small quota already they are adding wolves to an already crowded situation.

For those who don't understand their quota system, as soon as 2 wolves are killed in either of those areas the season closes in that area- it's not 2 wolves per person it's 2 wolves TOTAL!

There are way more than 2 wolf pups born in those areas every year, so as it stands they are already adding to the problem!

Again, please go to their website and let your opinion be known. I've heard it said that "they'll just do what they want anyway" but you can't bitch if you didn't at least voice your opinion!!!!

Also, don't forget there are FWP Public Comment Meetings tomorrow night in Billings, Wednesday night in Red Lodge, and Thursday night in Big Timber!

All the meetings start at 7:00, meeting places are listed on the above link.

Can you send me a PM? I have some questions for you on this issue but for some reason the PM that I tried to send you would not go

Somebody asked the ? at the Kalispell meeting,and the reply was as Rooster said."OTHER people want to see the wolfs"
Unfortunately sp6x6 is correct, you have the Yellowstone park rangers touting how the wolf is an economic boom and how great the numbers of elk are down so now the willows and everything else is flourishing.
I guess they forgot about the economic boom from the outfitting and everything else there was around the park when there was 2,000 cow permits and 100 either sex.

Do you really think that your comment is going to have any pull? This option to comment is just the procedural process. If it makes you feel better comment. This wolf season setting is all political. The fight was lost 10 years ago.
For the record, the wolves are flourishing, but if the elk living in Yellowstone Park have been significantly reduced in numbers, by predation or migration, do you think the wolves will stay in Yellowstone?

I agree with you on the possible end result, and maybe it is a "feel good" good comment, but I've always felt that you can't bitch if you didn't vote and this is the same thing. If you can't take a few minutes to send in your comments- not only through their regular comment channels but also to the individual commissioners- then don't bitch when they don't do what you wanted.

There are 2 things about this whole issue that really get my goat.

One is that Montana FWP and their wildlife commission seem to be more inclined to listen to those who are not paying customers while ignoring those who are. I am very seriously considering taking my hunting dollars back to Wyoming or out to Idaho where they take the wolf situation seriously.

When I attended the meeting in Billings, no mention was made of the changes to the wolf quota. When it was asked why, they said that the meeting was only about Region 5 issues.

The Biologist was even heard saying that there are only 2 wolves on the entire Beartooth Front, and NO packs! He also mentioned that "other people want to see wolves." What he forgot to mention is that if you actually SEE wolves from the road (like those East Coasters want) you have way too many wolves and they prey species will soon decline- followed by a decline in the wolf population!

I know the official comment period is over, but another way to submit your comments (and might make for an interesting interaction with the Commissioners) is to send them EACH an email stating your comments AND ASKING FOR THEIR OPINIONS...

Rooster, another thing I meant to comment on yesterday is that I believe the reason they are wanting to cut the quota is because (according to a post by MtMuley before he was banned) the number of wolves in Yellowstone is declining.
Anyone who has spent any amount of times in the outdoors understands that the predator numbers rely heavily on the prey numbers, so therefore with the decline in Elk numbers in the Park the decline in wolf numbers cannot be a surprise to anyone. Also, if the prey is already declined to a point of impacting the wolf population why would anyone think that reducing the quota OUTSIDE THE PARK will have any affect on the number of wolves INSIDE the Park?
These are issues that all hunters need to demand answers for! They seem to think we are too stupid to understand how that all works, but we need to show them how wrong they are. And we ALSO need to make them understand that it is the HUNTERS paying their wages and their budgets- NOT the out of state wolf huggers who come here and don't contribute a nickle to the FWP coffers.

Mr. Pockets. I agree that people need to understand exactly what you are saying, but everyone is fed bleeding heart propaganda. You are spot on!
I can see a major portion of the northern boundary of the park from my house, and spend many days a week from November 1 thru February legally "predator" hunting. So I very clearly see the real picture.
Like I stated in the post before the wolf packs are plentiful in the park and currently in wolf area 313. The wolf packs are 10-15 wolves not in the 20's and 30's Wolves per pack, like when we had 20,000 -10,000 elk. The wolf lovers have pictures almost every day posted on their social media sites. We are allowed to kill 2 wolves in area 313. Each pack has multiple pups each year, and there are many packs that the park will not admit exist which is sad(political).
But......the elk, moose, deer, and sheep are not doing well. So wolves disperse, or kill each other, which is pretty basic knowledge. Yet the wolf lovers think we need no food source, ( ungulates) and killing 2 wolves a year is the reason for seeing lower numbers of wolves in the park. The whole situation is pretty basic biology. All I care about is that we have a wolf season Quota 1 wolf or 2 wolves who cares. It should be open unlimited wolves year round but our season setters have no balls and pockets lined with wolf lover money.
I will end with the fact I was pretty salty when I wrote my previous post.
I agree we all need to do all we can to keep our wolf seasons going.

Last edited:
It should be open unlimited wolves year round but our season setters have no balls and pockets lined with wolf lover money.
Which is why I am going to attempt to get an elk tag in Wyoming or Idaho instead of Montana. They are both taking the wolf situation seriously so therefore they deserve my support.

MTFWP will get the cost of 5 wolf tags and nothing more.

One other thing that I would like an answer to is what is their scientific reasoning for lowing the quotas. WE all know there is none, but here again I believe we all need to put them on notice that they are politicizing game management.

They know that and heard that at the region one meeting and sure at all others.Due to rule 4, I cant say what N.J. ssaid at the meeting,as how F&G was treating sportsman. If your local you know ,Sherm Im sure knows whom. I was just talking to friend today about when wolfs first hit or favorite spot.He saw them miles away in super hard terrain,off he went,only one tag was allowed,he shot a black,the pack had already eaton a 4x4 muley in hr it took to get there, 15 in pack that F&G say no wolfs there,he had it on video

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.