Comfortable shooting magnum caliber

A good brake will tame most magnum rounds. I personally dont like to shoot above 7mm Rem Mag unless they have a brake.

I have shot a 300 win and 300 weatherby before and after a brake, and the difference is night and day. Neither 300 was fun to shoot before the brake, but after they are nice soft shooters. The 300 weatherby is a sporter barrel so it isn't that heavy, but with a nice 3 port brake it is tame. The heavy barrel 300 win mag with a 5 port brake shoots almost like a 243. They are loud as sin, but I will take that over the recoil.

Hi there,
I firmly believe that wherever possible you should try out a big (er) rifle before you buy. I know that most shops will not or cannot arrange for this to happen (at least not here in the land of OZ anyway). If you have access to friends or fellow club members that will allow you to have a shot of candidate calibers that they own, then do it. Offer to pay for the ammo you burn or buy some ammo for the test.
Ignore the light weight guns in any calibre unless you need a light gun, medium weight should be fine if you are only hunting, if more for the bench, go heavier. I had a 7mmRem Mag until my son borrowed it, He uses it for sambar, now I just get to reload for 7M! I also use a 6.5x55, a 308, a 35 Whelen and a 9.3x62, but it is a really light gun and it kills at both ends!! Horrendous on the bench but you hardly notice it when used in the field.
I do like the 7MM, there are so many projectiles available for it. Plenty of choice available in factory rounds for this one too. Many of the other posts have provided really good advice depending on which way you jump on this. Enjoy the looking as that is half the fun.
Steven

Looking for a magnum caliber that is still comfortable to shoot or standard caliber with good long range energy
No wild cats please and 6.5s have no grown on me yet either
Also will be shooting factory ammo to start with
Take any of your magnum cartridges and load light for caliber bullets and they are all easy on the shoulder. I've loaded 110 grain hollow points at 3900 FPS out of a 300 Weatherby but it severely damages half a Whitetail deer. But you need to consider your long range needs.

I'm a 270 person. My buddy is a 270 wsm person. We both have rifles with 26 inch barrels. We have both got Buffalo with them. The kick is okay.... not abusive. The stock has a lot to do with precieved recoil. Things like a target type stock have no drop in the comb, they come straight back. So you don't have the barrel rise when you touch the trigger. There are weighted recoil dampening stocks. I have some big magnums so when I was young I bought a shooting padded coat with the enhanced right shoulder area built in. We don't have brakes on our 270's a brake if it cut down the recoil by 40+% would make them an all day target gun. The old saying is: That if you can't do it with a 270 you probably aren't going to do it.

I'm also a 7STW person. They make the 7mag and smaller cases obsolete. Out chrono testing. My buddy was popping primers in an attemp to match the velocities of the 7 STW. So I could down load or just buy factory ammo and attain the same FPS as someone stressing the 7 mag. I do have a brake because I used it for 600 and 1000 yard shoots. I have loaned that rifle for lots of out of state elk hunts using 175 -195 grain bullets.

The same can be said for the 300 win mag. I bought a 30-378. They are not in the same class especially when you get into 30 inch barrels and 240 grain bullets. The era of the ultra mags

On the flip side my daughter weighs 105 pounds and doesn't like the 270 for deer hunting. So I had E.R. Shaw build a 26 inch fluted 257 AI Every mule deer she has taken were one shot DRT using 100 grain spbt. accurate and fun to shoot. uses speer 87 grain for varmints.

What is it that you can't get on board with in the 6.5 caliber?
Based on what you asked for 264 Win Mag or 7 Rem Mag would be good choices.
7 Mag will have lots more factory Ammo options if you don't reload.
I'm not sure I guess because I dont know anyone personally that has one that I could get info from or even barrow a rifle from to test out.and I've research alot comparing 270 win and 6.5 creedmoore and cant really see how the 6.5 creedmoore is any better than a 270 win.if I'm wrong then I would like some one to explain it to me

I'm a 270 person. My buddy is a 270 wsm person. We both have rifles with 26 inch barrels. We have both got Buffalo with them. The kick is okay.... not abusive. The stock has a lot to do with precieved recoil. Things like a target type stock have no drop in the comb, they come straight back. So you don't have the barrel rise when you touch the trigger. There are weighted recoil dampening stocks. I have some big magnums so when I was young I bought a shooting padded coat with the enhanced right shoulder area built in. We don't have brakes on our 270's a brake if it cut down the recoil by 40+% would make them an all day target gun. The old saying is: That if you can't do it with a 270 you probably aren't going to do it.

I'm also a 7STW person. They make the 7mag and smaller cases obsolete. Out chrono testing. My buddy was popping primers in an attemp to match the velocities of the 7 STW. So I could down load or just buy factory ammo and attain the same FPS as someone stressing the 7 mag. I do have a brake because I used it for 600 and 1000 yard shoots. I have loaned that rifle for lots of out of state elk hunts using 175 -195 grain bullets.

The same can be said for the 300 win mag. I bought a 30-378. They are not in the same class especially when you get into 30 inch barrels and 240 grain bullets. The era of the ultra mags

On the flip side my daughter weighs 105 pounds and doesn't like the 270 for deer hunting. So I had E.R. Shaw build a 26 inch fluted 257 AI Every mule deer she has taken were one shot DRT using 100 grain spbt. accurate and fun to shoot. uses speer 87 grain for varmints.

I like all the 270 also I had to sell mine couple years ago to pay surprise Bill's but I am wanting another one I also really like the looks of a 7mm mag and factory ammo ain't hard to find

What is the 6.5 Remington magnum all about
I own two 6.5 Rem Mags, same case as the 350 Rem Mag. Ones a model 7 that is set up for my wife to hunt with. I down load it at 51gr IMR4350 and the 125 partition, deadly on deer. It's a #2 Shilen barrel at 23". My other is on a Tikka with a 26" #4 Brux, I've shot it out to 1050 yards but I'd say it was most accurate at 700 and below. I'm using the 129 LRAB or 140 Berger VLDs.
But since you don't reload get the 6.5 PRC, much nicer to shoot than a 7 SAUM and will keep pace with it.

I like all the 270 also I had to sell mine couple years ago to pay surprise Bill's but I am wanting another one I also really like the looks of a 7mm mag and factory ammo ain't hard to find
The 270 Winchester is a great cartridge. I have never seen one that didn't shoot well.

for deer size game and up 270 is as small as I would go due to personal experience.also long range to me is to how far I'm confident in shooting and that's 5 to 600 yards

270WSM, 270Wby, 7mm RM, 7mm Wby, 7mm SAUM/Wsm.
Any of those will do the trick. The 270 WSM with 110gr TTSX hardly kicks at all and drops deer. I'd feel super solid to your ranges. You give a lil in wind but its more about what you want. Heavy for caliber =more recoil in caliber.
From awkward field positions with mountain type mag rifles (7- 7.5lb bare) I prefer lighter kickers too. I dont shoot with brakes because my horses or dog would never forgive me.

I'm not sure I guess because I dont know anyone personally that has one that I could get info from or even barrow a rifle from to test out.and I've research alot comparing 270 win and 6.5 creedmoore and cant really see how the 6.5 creedmoore is any better than a 270 win.if I'm wrong then I would like some one to explain it to me
The main advantage to the 6.5C over the 270 is easier to find an accurate load, less recoil and with 140ish grain bullets the 6.5C at 500 yards starts to drop less. All in all unless recoil is a big issue the 270's higher initial MV and ability to shoot say a 150gr partition trumps anything the 6.5C does for you while hunting

Looking for a magnum caliber that is still comfortable to shoot or standard caliber with good long range energy
No wild cats please and 6.5s have no grown on me yet either
Also will be shooting factory ammo to start with
Here is a link to an online recoil calculator. It may help you in making your decision. http://www.shooterscalculator.com/recoil-calculator.php I happen to be partial to the 7mm Rem Mag. My rifle has a brake but I never use it - even in load development at the range. My rifle weighs 7.9 lbs. with scope and an empty magazine.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.