Comfortable shooting magnum caliber

It also depends on if you want to pleasure shoot very often. I have a braked 300 norma. It is not my pleasure shooting rifle. Ive owned, loaded & shot the 300 win mag also. For balance of power & some pleasure shooting a 7mm is about just right for me. I do own some 6.5s. They are perfect for abusive back to back pleasure shooting cause im not so concerned about shooting the barrel out of them. The big 30 Cal's I've owned: I get them dialed in, occasionally shoot for verification and hunt with them when needed. Not a whole lot of ringing steel constantly with them for me.

I live my 300 and 338 ultra mags. With a good brake, they are a pleasure to shoot. I've shot a 30-06 that has more recoil than my ultra mags with a brake.

Do brakes really add that much noise? I've been told by someone that he measured with a decibel meter and it was less loud with a brake that it was without one.

I run a 6.5 PRC. It's not a "Magnum," but the performance is pretty hard to argue, just like a 6.5-284.
If the word magnum is a must in a mild shooter, I'd say 7 SAUM or WSM.
There are some great options out there that you may overlook due to supporters yelling louder than knowledgeable adults.
Good luck and have fun!

Looking for a magnum caliber that is still comfortable to shoot or standard caliber with good long range energy
No wild cats please and 6.5s have no grown on me yet either
Also will be shooting factory ammo to start with
6.5 PRC, 156 Berger, comfortable to shoot, standard caliber, with good long range energy.
It'll grow on ya, give it a try. You'll be likely to shoot one more often than a magnum.
Add a Suppressor & you'll be wearing
A perpetual smile 😃 (your welcome).
Factory ammo & custom loaded ammo readily available, lots of stuff for reloader if you go that route. Lots of bullet choices run well.

Last edited:
7mm Magnum for factory ammo would be my choice if stuck with that. Kind of hard to beat a 6.5 PRC probably at present for low recoil long range. I hate brakes, cannot tolerate the concussion. Suppressed 7 Mag or 6.5 PRC in my opinion.
I'm sort of moving that direction. I can handle a varmint weight unbraked 7mm rem mag without issue. An unbraked varmint weight 6.5 PRC seems equivalent to or maybe a touch less than shooting my unbraked Sporter weight 25-06.

What is the 6.5 Remington magnum all about
A shortened 264 winmag case. It's about the same case capacity as a 6.5 PRC. Would be a nostalgic conversation piece but cheaper, easier & more practical to go with a 6.5 PRC. That being said, I would definitely buy an old 6.5 rem mag as a collection piece for the right price but it's getting harder to find one.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.