COMFORT ZONE FOR 1st ROUND HIT

BCID

IF THE RANGE IS KNOWN, AS IN I HAVE SHOT THIS EXACT SPOT, AND THE WIND IS CALM I AM CONFIDENT ON A STANDING STILL BROADSIDE ANIMAL AT AROUND 800YRDS OUT OF A 300RUM. WE HAVE FIRST ROUND HITS ON GAME FROM 450 TO 920 (RUM AND EDGE) . UNDER 800 ILL DEAL WITH CONDITIONS/COSINE. i AM ON MY SECOND BARREL ON THIS RIG AND AM RUNNING 22X NXS AND 210/220 GR BULLETS. I PASSED A SHOT ON A DECENT MULE DEER BUCK LAST YEAR AT 1125 BUT THE WIND IN THE CANYON WAS TERRIBLE. KINDA REGRET PASSING AS A DECENT MULEY HAS BEEN MY CURSE AND VOWED TO SHOOT MORE TO GAIN MORE CONFIDENCE.
WHERE WOULD YOU SAY YOU GUYS ARE CONFIDENT ON A COLD BORE 1ST ROUND HIT ON GAME?

No definitive answer from me:rolleyes:

It sounds like you are pretty much spot on.

During the summer I practice on rocks at the same spot and distances, out to 1450 yds, that I set up on for the season.

Out to about 1K the first cold bore shot is a "kill shot" on the rock about 90% of the time. Higher when the wind is variable. The percentage falls off significantly at the 1450 mark as wind gets confusing on the back side of the hill.

The practice is well worth the effort and a great confidence builder.

Again I'd say you are headed in the right direction as evidenced by your choice to pass on that shot. It's not passing on that particular shot that will cause grief.

I know that I can comfortably shoot a deer to 500yrds with my .308. The dope is right and it shoots very consistently at that distance. With my 300WSM I was comfortable to 800yrds, but that may change to a longer distance once I get a load shooting through the new barrel. My theory is shoot only as far as your abilities allow. This year I want to concentrate on shooting 1000yrds consistently so that 90 to 95 percent of my shots are on target. Anything else would be uncivilized!!!!:D

Tank

I would never take a shot on game that I had not practiced many times over in th field with a great success rate. Although I have taken game past 1100 yards on two occasions and both were 1 shot DRT. They were as perfect conditions as I could ask for. If the wind is blowing or any other factor is unsure I limit the range to my known ability.

Jeff

For me right now I am comfortable with my 243 win to 485 cold bore. That is now going to change since the resent purchase of my 300 win mag.

Darrin

Hi,
The comfort zone for 1st shot kill is where you can hit the vital zone in any condition from first shot, more then 90-95%.
as others members already mentioned, the wind can drastically drop down your distance, and DO NOT TAKE SHOT AT A GAME IF YOU ARE NOT 100% SURE of clear hit.
Be surprised is you miss, and not surprised if you hit at a "lucky shot".

I have been shooting a lot to 400 yards lately. But mainly load development, once I settle on one, anything within 400 yards is dead. Even now while messing with different seating depths and primers I'm putting all rounds into well under sub-moa at 400.
I agree with what has been said. Your maximum range depends on the conditions affecting the shot.

Oliver

100% sure...bad hair day, bad night, wind, rain, bone chilling cold, coffee jitters, hung over from that just one more..... for me this is 400 yards. Everything perfect: (which MIGHT happen once in ten years) 500 yards.

With my 257 and 270 Wby, out to 600 yards but that is only because I've trained at that range and have loads I'm very confident in.

I have a 340 Wby that I don't shoot very often and wouldn't go beyond MPBR of 300 yards until I get more training time.

Under decent conditions to around 1K I'll dial my dope and hold on fur, much beyond 1K and I'll normaly look for something in a horizontal line with the intended game to take a spotter shot, mostly because here if your shooting beyond 1K your shooting accrossed an open valley and theres just too much unpredictable winds during hunting season and I'd rather be sure that I'm figuring right than to risk a cripple.
RR

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.