Come on bullet makers!!!

I called to put in an order/back order with Midway, and the guy said call back March 1st, that they don't have the 225 Hornady listed yet. I guess the Hornady hand doesn't know what the Midway hand is doing and vice versa.

Bullets that expand properly with low impact velocities are very desireable for long range and that is not normally a strength of the bonded bullets.

A nosler ballistic tip type design with a 1600 fps min impact velocity might be a combo that would work well considering that the muzzle velocity will be around 3000 fps or lower in nearly all cases once you get to 220-240+ grain bullets. The really high sectional densities would most likely allow them to penetrate really well also despite not being bonded.

Last edited:
The poor excuse from bullet makers that there bullets need to work in factory twist rates BS!
Id say 90% of the people on these forums are using after market barrels and with that they can have about any twist they want.
Having said that whats up with 105 6mm bullets? who makes a factory 8 twist barrel? not remmy whiny or savage? Then theres the 115 grn 6mm bullets for sure no one has a 7.5 twist! Same for 22 cal come on whos gunn ashoot a 90 grn berger in there factory offerings?
I agree wheres the high BC 30 cals?
If your stuck to a factory twist rate then stick to a bullet thats capatable!

The poor excuse from bullet makers that there bullets need to work in factory twist rates BS!
Id say 90% of the people on these forums are using after market barrels and with that they can have about any twist they want.
Having said that whats up with 105 6mm bullets? who makes a factory 8 twist barrel? not remmy whiny or savage? Then theres the 115 grn 6mm bullets for sure no one has a 7.5 twist! Same for 22 cal come on whos gunn ashoot a 90 grn berger in there factory offerings?
well said!
Id bet if they offered 240 or 260 grain vlds the barrel makers would recieve a large # of new orders for barrels that would shoot these well.

well here it is straight from hornady
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPVFinoZW44&feature=player_embedded#
.66 bc
i guess more important than bc is accuracy i wonder how well they handle the jump...... soon to find out!
weres the 225 grn amax? PLEASE!!!!!

Looks like the .416 shooters will be happy

Last edited:

Have a look around, there is bugger all people with fast twist 30cal barrels... sure we love our custom barrels, BUT NOONE IS DOING IT with faster twistss in 30cal!... therefore the bullets have not needed to meet any demand... The same cannot be said for all calibers... in some calibers, faster twists have become more common place and therefore the bullets exist... funny that hey?

Its the chicken or the egg syndrome...

Take .338 for example, the 10 twist is the most common... a 10 twist in .338 is a tighter twist in turns per caliber than a 10 twist in 30cal... same goes for a 9 twist is a tighter twist (in turns per caliber) in 7mm, than a 1:10 30cal barrel.

Why else do you think the bullet makers would have simply forgotton about probably the most popular caliber in the world??? There are reasons...

The solution begins with everyone ordering their next 30cal barrel in a faster twist, else the bulletswill never come... There are already many custom bullet makers that will cater for your faster twist barrel, and make you a bullet with a much higher BC... you just need to ask around to find them.

Last edited:
Have a look around, there is bugger all people with fast twist 30cal barrels... sure we love our custom barrels, BUT NOONE IS DOING IT with faster twistss in 30cal!... therefore the bullets have not needed to meet any demand... The same cannot be said for all calibers... in some calibers, faster twists have become more common place and therefore the bullets exist... funny that hey?

Its the chicken or the egg syndrome...

Take .338 for example, the 10 twist is the most common... a 10 twist in .338 is a tighter twist in turns per caliber than a 10 twist in 30cal... same goes for a 9 twist is a tighter twist (in turns per caliber) in 7mm, than a 1:10 30cal barrel.

Why else do you think the bullet makers would have simply forgotton about probably the most popular caliber in the world??? There are reasons...

The solution begins with everyone ordering their next 30cal barrel in a faster twist, else the bulletswill never come... There are already many custom bullet makers that will cater for your faster twist barrel, and make you a bullet with a much higher BC... you just need to ask around to find them.
The chicken and the egg syndrome somewhat makes sense, so what came first the 105 berger vld or the 8 twist krieger barrel??
As far as catering maybe at the expense of $$$$ 1.00 plus per bullet.., way out of my budget unless its a strickley 20 rds a year hunting rifle.
If any major manufactor went to the shot show and brought to the table... say a 250 grn vld type 30 cal and it needed a 9 twist id bet the farm that barrel builders phones would ring off the hook!

Groper is again correct! You have to look at the outside of the spinning circle. It is covering more distance the larger the radius.....Rich
ya i did the math the 7&9 have a ratio of 2.55 per cal and the .308&10 has a ration of 3.08 (kinda funny) but it has a .308&1/9 of 2.77 which really isn't much and could stabalize a 1.78" vld with a miller factor of 1.44 (at sea level)! thats plenty. the arguement is still mute the 225 bthp at 1.68" will still stabalize in a 1/10 @ sea level(miller)1.33. Move up to my altitude and its has a miller of 1.58!
possible b.c.s go up with increased volume of increased caliber. so theoretically (and physically)between dimensionally proportioned bullets the larger caliber will have a higher bc.

Last edited:
Whether or not the bigger bullet can be stabilized in the standard 10 twist is iffy. Then you have to consider that the lions share of the market that buys bullets for reloading thinks that a 180g bullet is big for a 30 cal. Then the expense of re-tooling to start production of a new product.

It is a matter of cost vs return. I doubt you will see it happen with a major manufacture any time soon. Not until off the shelf rifles start having faster twist barrels. The only place the longer bullets are going to be available are from smaller bullets makers.

JMHO,

Steve

I have talked to HATS bullets. The are a bullet maker on here. The have a 30 cal 180 grn bullet with a bc of .711. Then he has a 190 grn bullet with a bc of .896. This does require a twist of 1/9. Thought I would chime in. He is a great guy that will talk your ear off.

However these bullets do cost $75.00 for a box of 50

Darrin

I have talked to HATS bullets. The are a bullet maker on here. The have a 30 cal 180 grn bullet with a bc of .711. Then he has a 190 grn bullet with a bc of .896. This does require a twist of 1/9. Thought I would chime in. He is a great guy that will talk your ear off.

However these bullets do cost $75.00 for a box of 50

Darrin

The same said bullet maker has a reputation of quoting inflated BC`s too... some of his bullet have been tested and the BC`s were revised downwards considerably... no such thing as magic bullets my friend...

The same said bullet maker has a reputation of quoting inflated BC`s too... some of his bullet have been tested and the BC`s were revised downwards considerably... no such thing as magic bullets my friend...

I tried using Corbins B.C.'s at first and they were off big time! He admitted to me that many manufactures do this. I guess they have to keep up with the JONES', so to speak, so they can market their bullets......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.