combo hunt in wyoming antelope and deer

opie#1

My question is this,
I am a non resident wanting to hunt in wyoming for antelope and mule deer at the same time,
I have no points, and find the web-site and the reg. book really difficult to navigate, the unit boundaries are not the same, so trying to do the research is difficult for the same units.
My question is- what units can you hunt both at the same time and have decent access for public land, I'm not looking for record book animals, just a decent place to take the family and hunt for antelope and mule deer at the same time.
Thank you in advance for ANY information somebody can provide.

I would recommend signing up on gohunt.com. It is well worth the subscription price and will make the learning curve much less steep. All the info you need at your fingertips and easy to navigate.

My question is this,
I am a non resident wanting to hunt in wyoming for antelope and mule deer at the same time,
I have no points, and find the web-site and the reg. book really difficult to navigate, the unit boundaries are not the same, so trying to do the research is difficult for the same units.
My question is- what units can you hunt both at the same time and have decent access for public land, I'm not looking for record book animals, just a decent place to take the family and hunt for antelope and mule deer at the same time.
Thank you in advance for ANY information somebody can provide.

I would recommend focusing on one or the other for your first trip. Hunting both in the same unit with zero points can be done but you will be essentially shooting the first found. I would get your feet wet with pronghorn.

This is not the first trip, which is the reason for a combo hunt.
would like to know what units a person can hunt both in at the same time?

I've hunted quite a few different units in WY. Very rarely have I seen both animals in the same places. Speaking from experience I would say the best odds of doing what you are asking would be shoot the first buck you see and then move to chasing the second animal. The only units you can draw with zero points for both animals are the north east corner. Of those the only unit with any public that holds both is in unit 1. Like I said you will literally have to shoot the first buck you see to have a legit chance to kill both. I know we all have different things that drive us to hunt but this will be a low quality hunt. I would much rather actually chase an animal I want to shoot and focus on that. If you pick one or the other I can help you find a much higher quality hunt. Are you against buying a "special" tag?

If you are referring to the cost of the "special" tag, the answer is no, I just want to hunt, so the extra money is fine.
I hunted area 25 last year, it was fun, very limited access but overall it was a great time.
We seen alot of antelope and deer in the same unit, the problem that I seem to have is the boundaries are different by species, so makes it overly difficult, in my opinion, to put this all together.
and the fact of not holding any points, would like to go back this year, try a new spot, see if we can hunt deer as well?

I think the best advice I can give is like Crowe said. Get Gohunt. Then you can find the hunt for you. There is not a unit in the state that can be drawn with zero points for both animals that I would want to hunt for both. There is not a unit in the state that require special tags for both that I feel are worth the money. Again I completely understand different people want different hunts. I truly feel you would enjoy your hunt much more if you pick a unit for the animal you want to chase and actually get into some quality animals.

You won't like my answer. If I had zero points and wanted to hunt goats next year I would go to unit 25. In my opinion it is the best unit to find a decent buck with no points. Yes the access sucks but there are a few spots to find nice bucks. My second choice would be 31. I have not hunted it but have been in it. Two of my buddies killed 77 and 74in goats in 25 last year. Not giants but awesome for zero points.

Your answer is spot on, I would hunt 25 again in a heartbeat, access does suck, but the hunting isn't bad, just thought I would ask for some other recommendations in Wyoming,

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.