Colour Finishes (not just camo, but...)

Chrismadrid

I would really like some first hand advice.

I'm looking at refinishing methods apart from straight forward (traditional) blueing, blacking, anodising etc.

It's something I want to do, rather than send away to do - it has alot to do with LACK of posibilities as well as a sense of personal challenge - but I'm also seeing a need to provide this sort of service here in Spain.

SO - I have discovered a couple of options

KG (formally Kal-Guard) which I can aslo aquire inside Europe. http://www.kgcoatings.com/ - This has the advantage of being water based and no mixing. But the metal finish requires curing.

Duracoat (from Lauer) http://www.lauerweaponry.com/duracoatcol...oice=dcr_77.jpg - the advantage being smaller lots plus the "attraction" of lots of wierd colours etc. But needs mixing and top coats etc depending on the finish.

Would appreciate feedback on finish qualities and resistance. Both claim "wonders" - but not all wonders are wonderous.

Or anything else out there - I'm not a master "surfer" so I can have missed stuff.

Hope you can help

Chris

Just a quick reply, if that's possible for me....

Have been learning airbrush techniques in preparation for doing serious things to rifles.

Note that I have used nothing beyond out door crafts paint so far. Turns out its pretty tough. Did my coyote walk & stalk rifle with that cheap stuff and it is holding up remarkably well. Great stuff to practice with.

I was leaning towards dura coat which has many colors and dries quickly and cures at low temps. People 'say' that it isn't as durable as one would expect, though I have no first hand experience.

Teflon is said to be more durable but I look at my wife's pots and pans and wonder. The color selection is less than dura coat, but I'm not sure that it matters that much.

I will be doing all metal including scope and the stock when I get going.

At the moment I'm leaning towards water based auto paint and a final clear coat for the stock and teflon for the metal parts.

Keep us posted on where you are headed with this idea. It will take some doing but if there's a will there's a way.

Well I will call KG first I think. They have a UK distributor. The simple fact of water based and no mixing is a big plus. I have airbrushes(even compressors) - I was a model making weenie for a long time - raised by a model train fanatical dad.

Called - They should have everything mid week (it's in customs now) - So I feel a test coming on. Think I'll redo the Choate Stock in Black and do something something in Stainless - What? - that is still to be decided.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.