Colorado Success

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by philny1, Oct 28, 2007.

1. philny1

philny1 Well-Known Member

Hi All

Just returned from my Colorado Hunt.
    It was a dry hot opener, not at all the best weather for hunting elk. But have a good spot, would have been surprised if I didn't spot any game. At day break had four small bulls past by me, then about a dozen cows. About twenty minutes later and two ridges over, spotted this 6x6.
    Ranged him at 698 yds. 37 clicks according to my drop chart, wind was calm. Made a good shot which took both shoulders , went right down. Was using my Rem M700 LSS 338 RUM with 225 gr Accubonds. This was the same rifle I took to AK for my sheep hunt with Joel Russo, so I was very confident with it. Took me an hour and a half to reach him. He had piled up in thick brush on a very steep ridge, being alone had a rough time dealing with him.
    For those of you that haven't hunted it, this is what Colorado oak brush is like.
    [​IMG]
    Took the shot from here.
    [​IMG]
    The work begins!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After an hour hour or so had five strong arm guys show and got him out to the truck.
    [​IMG]
    Part way down, couldnt go any further had to cut him in half.
    [​IMG]

Next morning we didn't hunt--snowing so hard we couldn't get out of camp. That's Colorado. Two days later we were hanging out in our tee shirts and not enjoying the 70 degree weather.

Also filled a cow tag and my partner took a 5x5.

Phil

2. AJ Peacock

AJ Peacock Well-Known Member

Nice Bull and nice shot!

What area where you hunting? I'll be out there in 2 weeks hunting SouthWest of Meeker.

AJ

3. redbone

redbone Well-Known Member

Phli

That is some good looking Bulls .

Thank good ness for Four wheelers.

When I was up there in Bow season we took 1 mule an 3 horses .

what part of the state was you hunting In NW, NE , SW , SE ?

what is the Outfiter did you use ?

Redbone

4. philny1

We were in the SW corner, hunting area 70. Closet town was Naturita.
    We stay on a ranch, they feed us, give us a place to stay, take us out and kinda point ya in the right direction. Get something down and there is plenty of help getting it out for you.

5. Slopeshunter

Slopeshunter Well-Known Member

Congrats on a nice shot Phil! That bull sure chose to go down in some ugly looking terrain.

6. Matt_G

Matt_G Well-Known Member

Nice shot and a very nice bull. Congrats!

I've seen a lot worse. Some places, you would contemplate bringing a loaf of bread and a jar of mayonnaise, and just eating his ass right there. :D

7. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

Nice going, Phil!

Man that's rugged brush.

8. davewilson

davewilson Well-Known Member

i'm counting 8 guys in the picture and you said there were 5 strong armed guys. which ones were the weak armed?

great bull, story and pix. thank you for the input.

congrats on the great shot.

9. Dead Beat

Dead Beat Well-Known Member

nice bull my buddy had to split his elk last year to get it out i have some pictures that look just like your ELK

JIM

10. philny1

Thanks guys.
    In the pic, the two on the far left and the three on the right without orange were my heros. The other three were hunting.

I doubt very much any one was in a worse spot than I on the 20th, the start of the second hunt.
    Along with my other hunting gear I have a particular watch I wear when I hunt. Rather large numbers and a button that can be pushed to light up the dial. Plus I'm usually an early riser.
    Anyhow, I wake up, check my watch--its 3:00 AM. I get up head outside and go to the shower room. Back, make a pot of coffee and turn all the lights on with the usual " Ya gonna sleep all day or get up and get ready to go hunting". Now were sittin around, workin on our secong cup of coffee, wondering why the light aren't on in the kitchen across the way. Finally the last guy gets up, comes out looking at his watch and wants to know what the hell we are doing up at 1:45: in the morning.
    Well it seems my watch was still on NY time!!!. Amazing how fast these guys lost their sense of humor. I'm just lucky there wasn't a rope handy!!

11. Ernie

Ernie SPONSOR

Nice bull.
    Area looks similar to where I typically hunt in between Bayfield & Chimney Rock.

12. long450

long450 Well-Known Member

Nice bull and a great shot. Looks like the 225 Accubond works well. Good story about the watch. The guys I hunt with would have found a big stick, if they didn't have a handy rope.

13. Joel Russo

Joel Russo Well-Known Member

Congratulations Phil, good shot....nice bull.

That terrain looks a bit "thick" in places, but I'm sure it beats climbing in the rocks. :)

Hey, take a young guy hunting next time will ya!

14. Steve7mm08

Steve7mm08 Well-Known Member

Nice photos, looks like an ideal spot for long range shooting. I'd be pretty happy with a bull like that too