Colorado Questions

Anschutz

Hello Westerners,

I'm originally from Georgia and I have hunted in New York for two years. I got stationed at Fort Carson and I'm looking forward to hunting out here. The altitude is still kicking my tail but I really want to get some archery elk hunting. My question is, Is Colorado like other states where you can transfer your hunter safety to the state? I know New York did that and I really would rather spend 12 hours shooting my bow or getting geared up than sitting in a class that will have at least 85% stuff that was in my other HS classes. I don't mean to sound cynical and I agree with the course itself, especially the proving you can shoot part. Thanks.

Anschutz

Yes your hunter education should be good. Have fun and good luck this September

Unfortunately I will be doing FTX and NTC for most of the hunting season so I may only get one or two weekends to hunt this fall. I'd be perfectly fine with an antelope or deer because I deploy early next year and don't know if even I could eat 150 pounds of elk meat in the time I would have. 40-50 pounds of deer or 30-40 pounds of speedgoat would be doable though.

I have one thing to say: Go Navy, Beat Army!
My daughter is a Youngster at USNA - could not resist!
Hopefully you put in for tags several months ago? Antelope hunting is so tough that I don't bother trying to hunt here in CO. I just keep saving up points here in CO for my dream antelope hunt, and going up to WY to shoot does, but that is getting harder and harder to do - virtually no leftover antelope tags up there, and severely reduced quotas.
PM me if you have any questions.
Donna

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.