Colorado Muzzleloader

JOHNNIE WALKER

Well, I still have a few days to decide, but I'm seriously thinking of using my points and going back to Colorado this year. It's been a while since I've hunted elk and I really miss it. This would be a muzzleloader hunt and as some know, Colorado has some wierd laws. Where I live sabots are legal and my rifle loves the 250gr SST. But that's not going to work out there. So I was wondering if some of you could offer some advice on bullets. I'm doing some research, but first hand knowledge is much appreciated. I've read goods and bads about the power belts, and have a friend who hates them, but I've never used them. I'm kind of looking at the new federal bullet. But if any of you would be willing to offer some advice it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Only way definitively to know what your rifle likes is by getting a pack of each and shooting them. My ML likes the power belts better than federals.

I've only messed with the sabots. I was just kind of curious about bullet performance. Although accuracy is important, Im not really looking for the most accurate load. But I am concerned about about what the bullet dose when it hits the animal. I've heard the power belts don't like to hold together. I don't have a lot of spare time to play with different loads. I was just hoping for some bullet advice to get me in the right direction.

yep, Thors all the way. My brother used a CVA Accura V2, 100gr blackhorn209 and a 250gr thor for this doe. Huuuuuge exit wound!
100_0958.jpg

100_0962.jpg

We've been using them since 2008 with no problems dropping game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eDmFUckyCUI

I prefer to custom size them my own for the perfect fit of my bores.

"Guys, I just got my order of Thors in today and they are to small! My season starts next week and there's no way I will have time to send them back and get the right size. Any ideas?! "

Seems we run into this issue from time to time and so I took some pictures and will show you how to re-size your Thor bullets to a larger size thats very simple and effective!

Tools needed:

One small light weight hammer
One 3/8" 8mm socket "Matco 8mm shaft DIA is .449"-.450"
Thor Bullets of course
Caliper or Micrometer to measure bullets diameter

Now lets say you ordered .502" Bullets, but some of them as you found, just slide right down the bore very easily while the others take the recommended 20-30 lbs seating pressure. All is okay now! You can easily resize those looser fitting bullets to the size your need, and IMO this is the perfect way to get the exact size you need. You can now actually order the smaller .500" Thors and then resize them yourself to exactly what your rifles bore needs.

Today, I shot up the last of my Thors in my Traditions and all I have in stock are .500" Thors in 250gr Ballistic Tip. I decided to take a few pictures and share the process just in case you ever run into an undersized bullet in the package or simply want to take it up a level and size your own Thors for your bore. Quite a few on here knurl pistol bullets to fit their bores so they can shoot sabotless, this process is quite a bit easier because there's no knurling, just flaring up the base of the bullet a touch and measuring the diameter of the base and flare it up to where it needs to be for your bore size.

Get the idea?

I hold it in my hand so I can feel the amount of power I am hitting with.

After a few light taps with the hammer and I was where I needed to be.

After a couple shots at 100 yards, I dialed it in and took 3 shots for groups. WELL under 3/4" with first 2 shots touching!
IMG_1677_zps4d22364f.jpg

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!! That's the kind of info I was looking for. That's quite an exit hole. Have you had any problems with them on shoulder shots?

Thanks again for the info. I'm trying to get the dates all lined up. I'm about 99 percent sure I'm going to apply this year. I've shot a few elk with my rifle and and a few more with my bow. But never with a muzzleloader. I've been looking forward to this for a long time.

Well, I drew my tag. I'm trying to get everything lined up for this, and I can't wait. Im driving my wife nuts. But thats good for her. I've been trying to get in touch with thor bullets but that hasn't been easy to do. All I get is a weird answering machine that sounds like it's for three or four differnt people. Is this normal? Is there a better way to get bullets from them?

Well, I drew my tag. I'm trying to get everything lined up for this, and I can't wait. Im driving my wife nuts. But thats good for her. I've been trying to get in touch with thor bullets but that hasn't been easy to do. All I get is a weird answering machine that sounds like it's for three or four differnt people. Is this normal? Is there a better way to get bullets from them?

Email them your name/address and what bullet weight/size you want and they'll send them along with a bill for them.

Got the sample pack in the mail the other day. Ordered 30 bullets a few minutes ago. The NMLRA shoot is going on about 15 minutes from the house, so I might run down there today for some more supplies. I'll let you know how they shoot threw my rifle.

Got the sample pack in the mail the other day. Ordered 30 bullets a few minutes ago. The NMLRA shoot is going on about 15 minutes from the house, so I might run down there today for some more supplies. I'll let you know how they shoot threw my rifle.

Wish I didn't live so far away, I'd be at Friendship myself. I made the May 2nd inline match, but I'm on jury watch for the rest of the month. Maybe the fall shoot.....

Yea I read your other post about that shoot. Pending on which way you came down, you were probably really close to my place. I've been going down there every since I was knee high. My grandpa and my great uncles used to "cross the river" to compete down there way back when. My grandpa only had one eye, but was a amazing pistol shooter. We mostly just go to people watch now. That place attracts some interesting individuals. But hey, over priced junk, and greasy food, how could you go wrong.

Well, I've been shooting the Thors. 300 gr ballistic tip over 105 gr of T7 FFFG seems to give me soft ball sized groups at 100yds, with iron sights. That's plenty good for me. I doubt the elk will care. I tryed 126 gr, but that was a little much, and accuracy was not there. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll have pictures of the results.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.