Colorado Mountain Elk Muzzleloader

The outfitter told me to be good to 100 yards. When I arrived he had a steel plate at 130 yards set up on hillside across from his cabin and said you can hunt when I see you hit that steel. Luckily I hit it first shot but I think it was luck as the plate wasn't real big!

Whatever gun you decide on I would look at Fury custom bullets 50 cal star tip2. They are Colorado legal, shoot great, and work well on game.
YES ABSOLUTELY take that advice. This is from a guy that in the last 6mo have gotten the same advice from a friend & I have been a repeat after repeat very happy customer & Dennis is just great to talk to & a pleasure to do business with. I just got 100 .4525 275gr MZ T2P"s I'm shooting with 105gr W BH 209 in my Paramount. I'm still shooting 2 other types & 2 diff weights of Fury's in my CVA Accura V2 .45 using T7fff as well. If/when I can afford a custom SML it's going to be built to shoot a specific Fury bullet only. No Dennis is not payin me & we ain't related either LOL There are a few others incredible bullet makers well known now. I've shot other guys bullets & have nuthin but absolutely great things to say about them & their bullets too. From how my good ole boy mind works, it came down to - the best bullet I personally found economical, that covered every base I could find myself using or wanting to use well covered with incredible performance, from a guy ya trust, respect & can't help but like the heck out. Really, thats why I'm a Fury bullet shooter now. Good luck

I would recommend No Excuses bullets and BH209 powder. Also I cut the petals off sabots, just leaving the base and seating it over the powder like a wad/gas seal. It really improves accuracy with lead conicals.

Check out Modern Muzzleloader forums, you'll get more info than you want. Most people shooting conicals recommend a 1/8" felt wad under them for best accuracy. I bought 10 lbs of Black MZ (@$10/lb.from Sportsman's Warehouse) to find a good load. It seems to shoot the same as 777. If you have lots of money, and don't want to swab between shots, use BH 209. It works well, and is like cleaning a centerfire rifle. For elk, I want as much velocity as I can get, so I use a 30 inch barrel. I found pure lead bullets don't usually exit, and bullets under 400 grains don't usually exit. I like heavy bullets for elk. I like an exit wound, and a blood trail. Most of my shots seem to be at 200 yards or more. Consistency is the key to muzzleloader accuracy. The same pressure, the same pour rate for measuring powder, a SpinJag loader to allow the bullet to twist with the rifling. For most people, it isn't like a centerfire. It takes a little experimentation to get an accurate load. CVA Accura's seem to be a good choice. Knight's are loved by those who have them. Most people get best accuracy with loads between 90 and 120 grains of powder (by volume). Many people recommend weighing charges of BH 209. Make sure you know whether they are talking weighed or volume. Lots of BH 209 are different, so if you get a new can from a different lot, you may need to change your load. Good luck, I'm envious.

Thanks for all the information! I love tinkering and perfecting, so I'm excited to set up a ml and starting the experimenting process. If in the end I get a bull it will make it that much more satisfying!

I shoot an optima with 120 grains of pyrodex and 349 powerbelts. Shot an elk last fall at 140 yds. In the lungs. Did the trick. I use the tru glow sights on my rifle. Very happy. I have to clean the gun after about 5 shots. In the field i use windex wipes cut into squares. I friend of mine in blackpowder shoot outs...re enactments.....told me about the windex. Its easy to pack in and use. Pull one out ...tear in half, push thru, let evaporate, load it up. Good to go. Ask me anything. Ive shoot around a dozen elk with Powerbelt over the year

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200612-160217_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200612-160217_Gallery.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 167
  • Screenshot_20200612-160202_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200612-160202_Gallery.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 173
I shoot an optima with 120 grains of pyrodex and 349 powerbelts. Shot an elk last fall at 140 yds. In the lungs. Did the trick. I use the tru glow sights on my rifle. Very happy. I have to clean the gun after about 5 shots. In the field i use windex wipes cut into squares. I friend of mine in blackpowder shoot outs...re enactments.....told me about the windex. Its easy to pack in and use. Pull one out ...tear in half, push thru, let evaporate, load it up. Good to go. Ask me anything. Ive shoot around a dozen elk with Powerbelt over the year
Do you recommend the windex wipes for BH209?

The last elk I shot with a muzzleloader was in the state of Colorado. I used my CVA optima pro, and shot a 300 gr THOR. I would highly recommend THOR bullets to anyone. At roughly 100 yds the bullet hit the bull that was slightly quartering to me in the back of the shoulder. The bullet broke the shoulder, passed through everything, and exited out the other side. Everything inside was liquid. I wouldnt expect that much terminal performance from my 30/06. I was very impressed. I've used THOR bullets on a few whitetails since then and don't see the need to shoot anything else.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.