Colorado Lone Mesa

Unless you have access to horses & mules, I wouldn't waste my time. Have hunted around the park for decades, know the area very well. If your going to spend the time & money on a colorado hunt in search for trophy animals, unit 711/71 is not the units to be looking in. I go back because I have access to private & I'm not a trophy hunter😉

I have been in the park on numerous occasions with friends, and as Boomstickin stated, save your money and look elsewhere. The elk herd in that area has steadily declined without a hint of concern from the CPW. I have hunted the five units in that area my entire life and the elk, deer, etc are on a decline so bad, that they may never recover. The extra $$$ to access the park in not worth it but that just my opinion.

Totally agree on herd decline. I have friends that live near Durango and CPW is well aware of the decline but no clue why.

The decline has been brought to their attention for quite a few yrs but they won't take the hit to the pocket book. Our elk get harassed for 12 months out of the yr, no offense to out of staters who spend their hard earned $$$ on an OTC bull tag, but there are waaay to many people allowed to hunt every yr and the influx of people who want the colorado outdoor experience i.e. hikers, atv/sxs use, and mountain bikers. Plus we have no mature bulls, most bulls get killed before they hit 2-3yrs old, and the constant human traffic has a huge detriment to calf production. But no worries, the wolfs will be here shortly to take care of what's left of our dismal elk population

The answers are right in front of their face on the herd decline! Killing to many cows, bear numbers are out of hand, way to many people in the woods day in and day out (mountain bikers, atvs, hikers, leafers, backcountry skiers) not to mention selling elk tags like funnel cakes at the fair.

Water, this year the area was more saturated than I've seen it in a decade. Water holes were filled to the brim, ground water was visibly present in various areas. If we are lucky, mother nature will consistently bring sufficient moisture to the area over the course of the next decade. Otherwise, the herd is going to continue to suffer. No water equals no feed, without feed those animals will migrate elsewhere.