Colorado GMU 65 1st rifle recommendations

stanley52

My best friend and I drew for 1st season elk in GMU 65this year. We plan on backpacking into the Uncompahgre Wilderness and hunt the east fork of the Cimarron River.

That being said, does anyone have any other areas in the GMU we should look at?

I welcome any and all advice, in general. Thanks!

If you can get there the day or so before and spot, then at night bugle you will locate a heard or at least some bulls. They will be bugling until the first shots are fired. 3 years ago we were kept up all night by a bugling bull, he bugled every 5 minutes for 14 hours until we shot him opening morning. It was awesome, and it was my Dad's first bull and his first time hearing one bugle.

Yeah we're going up a few days ahead of time! It's only 5.5 weeks away now! The Uncompahgre Wilderness is pretty up there... we plan on camping at 11,000 and near the southern end of the drainages it's all over 13,000. From what i've read, they should be up there and that high in mid-October?

It's been warm out here this year. Look for those elk up high. That part of the state is dry too. Water will be your friend. They will bugle until the first morning after that they won't make much noise. Just try to get set up on herd the night before and then cold camp nearby. If you see them on a given hillside the night before opener they will likely be there or very close by there the next morning. And since your DIY I would shoot the first legal bull you can. Holding out could mean a bigger bull but DIY backcountry hunts at altitude are tough and it's only a 5 day season.

My hunting buddy arrowed one this morning at about 8000ft near Steamboat. Wherever on the mountain the water is that is where the elk are right now no matter the elevation. Seeps and springs can be anywhere and that is the most common source during dry times. But this could be a non-issue by 1st rifle season as it has been raining some the last week or so and there is more in the forecast. I've always wanted to hunt that area but as of now, all I've done is some scouting a few years ago. With all the beetle kill throughout the state, I try to keep my option open. I had a favorite spot in Idaho burn a long time ago and never did find an area to replace it there. That same thing is bound to happen here sooner or later and with all the fuel laying on the ground, the fire will likely sterilize the soil so nothing will ever grow again.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.