Colorado gmu 55

revturbo9967

Has anyone hunted Gunnison ? We have a trip planned for 2017 out of there and i know nothing of the area or how much game is produced. We are hunting first rifle season for elk. any info on this area would be a great help !

Are you collecting preference points for that unit 55 first season hunt? I looked up the statistics and it looks like the success rate of just drawing that tag was 81% in 2014 for guys that did not have any preference points. If you had at least 1 preference point, that would guarantee you a tag. Otherwise 81% is still pretty good odds without a preference point.

You can look up these statistics on the Colorado CPW website:
Colorado Parks & Wildlife - Elk Hunting Statistics

I've never hunted unit 55, but it looks like the elk hunting is pretty good ....

The hunter reference guide also lists some general info and the 2013 success rate for bulls was 18% while the average over the past 5 years is 25%. It looks like unit 66 has higher success rates, but for a non-resident you need at least 2 preference points to get a tag in that unit.

http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Hunting/BigGame/HuntGuides/SWHuntGuide.pdf

Overall it's not as helpful as direct info somebody who's hunted there, but at least it's a place to get you started.

I just applied for a point a few months ago and plan on getting a second next year just in case. This was a last minute decision on my end a few months ago when my father in law asked me to go. I don't know anything about the area other then it gets crowded after the first week. Not sure how first week is.

we are hunting with quaking aspen outfitters, also know nothing about them. unfortunetly i had about 20 minutes to do research about the place before i had to make a decision. The area looks beautiful and I've heard decent reviews about the place from some reputable people so i have decent hopes.

Thanks for your reply

Ah, gotcha. Now I'm jealous, hunting with an outfitter in Gunnison is going to be awesome. I would just call your outfitter with any specific questions you have.

And the draw-only first season is always the way to go, much less pressure than the 2nd season where tags are over the counter.

Good luck!

Ah, gotcha. Now I'm jealous, hunting with an outfitter in Gunnison is going to be awesome. I would just call your outfitter with any specific questions you have.

And the draw-only first season is always the way to go, much less pressure than the 2nd season where tags are over the counter.

Good luck!

i sure hope so!!

i talked to him a few times and seems like a decent guy and very reasonable. didn't promise me the world, just said we will see elk, and that i have a very good chance at getting a shoot on one. all i want is that chance like everyone else

Since nobody else is jumping in, another resource you could try is calling the Colorado Parks and Wildlife office and getting the contact info for the field officer that works that unit.

They are typically out in the field a lot so you have to play phone tag, but it is something that I do quite often and had great luck. I actually just got a call back this morning from the CPW officer that works in the area I'm going to hunt this year and I got a whole ton of useful information... everything from how much hunting pressure, the areas the elk concentrate, where the guiding outfits concentrate, etc.

I have spent a lot of time in that area. At first I didn't know who that outfitter was until I looked it up and saw it was Dave. He has a good reputation in the area and you should have no problems. As for the country he hunts be ready for some of the most beautiful country you're likely to see. I used to lead some summer pack trips up there and it's very nice. You should have a good hunt!

I have spent a lot of time in that area. At first I didn't know who that outfitter was until I looked it up and saw it was Dave. He has a good reputation in the area and you should have no problems. As for the country he hunts be ready for some of the most beautiful country you're likely to see. I used to lead some summer pack trips up there and it's very nice. You should have a good hunt!

this is great to hear. thank you for your input !

Since nobody else is jumping in, another resource you could try is calling the Colorado Parks and Wildlife office and getting the contact info for the field officer that works that unit.

They are typically out in the field a lot so you have to play phone tag, but it is something that I do quite often and had great luck. I actually just got a call back this morning from the CPW officer that works in the area I'm going to hunt this year and I got a whole ton of useful information... everything from how much hunting pressure, the areas the elk concentrate, where the guiding outfits concentrate, etc.

that's a good idea, i will definitely do so. thank you

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.