Colorado gmu 54 question

KYHILLJACK

Any of you Colorado residents know why they did away with the either sex elk rifle season tags this year in 54 ?
My only guess is to reduce hunters and therefore pressure for a better kill and maybe to force folks who had drawn the either sex before and didn't take a cow to take a cow.
Heck I don't know. I just liked the either sex tag because I hunt for meat and no matter how long you boil those antlers they just won't get tender.:)

As i understand it, COPW biologists for that area stated they had met their herd goal and adjusted the tag allotments accordingly.

In any event, i'm not hunting there for awhile - after 1st rifle the herds migrate onto the ranches and don't leave. I'm going to put in for somewhere else.

Zillion people. The CO hunting will be slowly killed off as the dems take further control of the state.

As far as the ES tags go, it all goes back to why they implemented them. You mentioned Castleton Ranch...that whole area gets flooded with elk that now live there year-round. The goal when implementing those tags was to hopefully reduce some of the population around those areas to get the elk off of the private. Unfortunately, it didn't succeed. Because it hasn't had any real affect on those elk, they decided to go back to bull and cow tags.

And as far as determining the number of tags available, the CPW has done the same thing for years. They decide on the number of tags AFTER the draw, which makes no sense to me. I have been burned by this in the past, when a big reduction in tags ruined my plans.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.