Colorado GMU 53 and hunting mulies as well?

That will depend on the temps and sunshine. We have had to pull out at midnight and then it wasn't much fun. Quit taking trucks in years ago and only use 4 wheelers because of it with redial tires also. They can get around ok but not loaded down or with a trailer till it dries or is frozen. The trail is too steep and a little sideling if not. Dave

Did you have to pull out at midnight due to bad weather coming in, or just late leaving? What's the best way to track the weather there? Will a weather radio get reception there? Is there a place to park at near main road to drive a 4 wheeler in?

Have friends that come in from Crawford side but the trailer head is short, then it's all wilderness. Pull up Google earth and look for the trailer from Crawford up to Interocean Pass. That's the best trail to access the top of Lamborne and Coal. That is the best country for deer along with the back side of The Chains. it's fairly open on that side but still more than enough black timber. pressure is very light as well. Dave

The trail that goes between lamborn and landsend or the one from Missouri flats one the east side of landsend (legal to cross that private on the trail?). How far in is reasonably passable in vehicle before switch to foot?

Is that openish country west of landsend worth checking out?

Appreciate the help.

If it rains/snows and you are planning to leave the next day or so our only option is hope the ground freezes or the sun comes out. Gumbo is not fun to deal with. There is some parking along the access road just watch for no trespassing signs which are clearly marked for private homes-driveways etc.. It may stay dry all season then again be prepared because it does get interesting when the weather changes. Haven't meet anybody not willing to help out when it does get nasty but the more trying to get out when they shouldn't just tears the trail all up and makes life that much more interesting for everyone else. Winches-tow ropes etc. all can come in handy. A weather radio doesn't do much good as lower elevation activity doesn't mean anything on the mountain unless there is a major storm coming in. Then you either pull out, which can be just before season or you wait for better weather. Don't intend to scare you but again be prepared as over the years I can tell some stories I don't want to relive the way we learned back then. A bunch of flat landers learning the hard way. Dave

The trail between lamborn and landsend, haven't personally been on the other. I have only used the trail from the top of lamborn going down but a work buddy came from the bottom up last year and the trail was still good then. Dave

It's getting close to time to head west, only have a week and a half to go. How rugged is the trail from coal creek trail head, south toward sheep mountain?

It's getting close to time to head west, only have a week and a half to go. How rugged is the trail from coal creek trail head, south toward sheep mountain?

Was out scouting this weekend, went about 6mi down coal creek, didn't go all the way to that trailhead nor on that trail. Other trails in 53 I was on where varying, some were older atv trails let go, others were very faint foot trails that were lost at times... Other than loosing a trail into dense aspen w/ undergrowth I don't think any of the stuff was knarly on foot. Definitely elevation up/down and faint in places but not too bad.

Scouted this weekend, spend most of the time on the south side from crawford. Saw basically no deer sign (a track occasional, no scat). Hiked up little coal creek between landsend and second creek ridge, looped between the back of second creek ridge and coal, down second creek and across the front of the ridge to the truck. That took up most day/energy, shot over to the trail head leading to smithfork mountain. Went in a bit over the mile before turning due to energy/light dwindling. Though that area is talked up (that leads to the back of the chains) I honestly did not see a single track or dropping. Not sure if there are big changes in the few more miles getting actually to the back of the chains but visually looking at them didn't seem like the country changed much.

Am I missing something about the deer in that turf? Any good mulie lessons anyone would like to lay out for me (no worries about offending, feel a bit setback on that turf or how I'm trying to work it).

This morning only had a bit of time to scout, saw does along the road in places on the north side of 53. Folks don't really talk up that area for deer but it was the only place I saw anything as of this weekend...

For the record I did see elk so its not like I'm a total bumbling idiot. :rolleyes:

Where did you park at to hike to the chains? I am wondering how fast the coal creek trail head will fill up. Can't leave till Wed. so that will put me getting there mid day Thursday before second rifle season. I am hoping I will have a place to park my truck.

I didn't hike in off coal creek, just drove ~6mi down it to check it out. I did my hiking from the south side (out of Crawford) since I had heard mulie recommendations there. Unfortunately I just didn't see any sign to confirm that.

I was just in the northern part of 521 and saw several groups of mulies over 4 days. They were mostly above 10,000 feet

Right on. How was the elk activity, have a cow tag for there after I hopefully wrap up deer in 53. Heading out in the morning to make camp!

Very few signs of elk, and most of them old. Even the horse hunters who said they had hunted that area for 35 years did not appear to be coming back with meat. There were still blooming flowers and bright green grass on west facing slopes at 10,700 ft. I think the elk are tucked way back in the most remote place they can find and have plenty of food.

Good to know, yeah it's def green still. I saw elk in 53 2weeks ago but with hunters moving in no way they would be where I saw them still.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.