Steve Combs

Hi all. Myself and 3 friends are going to be elk hunting the 3rd rifle season in Colorado GMU 521 this November. We are going to be in the Electric Mountain/Chalk Mountain area. We are taking ATV's and aren't afraid to hike quite aways to get into good hunting. We are all first time elk hunters, but are all avid whitetail deer hunters. How busy is 3rd rifle season in that area? (I hunt in southeastern Ohio for deer so busy to me is running into 20-30 hunters or more per day during deer gun season).

Any other information about this area would be greatly appreciated. We are studying maps and migration patterns/winter ranges etc. Any information on areas people have had some success in the area would be helpful in our scouting also. (We are arriving a day and a half before the season to do some scouting). Also there are a few of us thinking of getting a bear tag also. Is that a good idea or should we concentrate efforts on elk for the whole week? Putting elk meat in the freezer is the priority, but the opportunity to get a bear is also enticing.

Also any recommendations for specific gear we should have with us would also be helpful. We have been watching some of the videos Randy Newberg has put together for gear lists and other information. I look forward to your input.

Thanks

Are you talkin 2020?
I want to know too. I just stumbled on this post. I have hunted that area for years. Used to do good but it has been wayoverhunted. .
DOW issues way too many cow tags in this unit. I always bow or muzzleloader hunted there. I've seen the decline in elk and the rise of people stomping the woods down. It's a real shame.

I want to know too. I just stumbled on this post. I have hunted that area for years. Used to do good but it has been wayoverhunted. .
DOW issues way too many cow tags in this unit. I always bow or muzzleloader hunted there. I've seen the decline in elk and the rise of people stomping the woods down. It's a real shame.
It's to bad that area went down hill so bad. I really liked the fact that I had a place to go with over the counter tags and could almost always find elk if you worked for them. Me and son are planning on hunting close to there 3rd rifle this fall. I may take him up there and show him around. He should draw a deer tag for 521 and I've seen a couple monster bucks there before. Have you ever hunted the bar k basin? I met a guy from Texas coming out of that whole maybe a decade ago. As far as the cow tags I think they really cut the number down last year. But honestly haven't paid real close attention.

It's to bad that area went down hill so bad. I really liked the fact that I had a place to go with over the counter tags and could almost always find elk if you worked for them. Me and son are planning on hunting close to there 3rd rifle this fall. I may take him up there and show him around. He should draw a deer tag for 521 and I've seen a couple monster bucks there before. Have you ever hunted the bar k basin? I met a guy from Texas coming out of that whole maybe a decade ago. As far as the cow tags I think they really cut the number down last year. But honestly haven't paid real close attention.
No never heard of the Bar K Basin. Most of my hunting was around Overland Reservoir and Chalk. 1st time in the area was 1981. I lost track of how many years I hunted there.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts