Colorado Fires

Pinoniper

Colorado has seen all three of its largest forest fires ever in the last two months. I have a cow elk tag starting November 6. The GMU of my tag has not burned but is not that far from an area that has been devastated by a huge fire. A lot of animals have not survived. Would you choose sit this one out, for the good of the elk herd?
Discuss.

I would suggest that the real problem is that the carrying capacity for elk (and other animals) has been drastically reduced due to fire in the late fall, when grass may not be able to grow until spring (after snow melt). My guess is that hunting will help the overall situation for animals in that area. Your area may be "overcrowded" with elk, due to the fires nearby and elk escaping the burned area.

Large fires are particularly bad since they affect a large area, and alternatives for food are farther away than the animals are aware of. Colorado Game and Fish may capture them and move them if they can before winter strikes which it already has in Northern Utah. Supposed to be 7 degrees above Monday morning in Cache Valley Utah were we live and the mountains due east of our home are all snow covered

I'd need aot more information on the herds in that area to make that decision.
If the herds in surrounding areas can handle the extras you might have a point.
If the surrounding herds are over populated, you'll be doing them all a favor by taking what you can.

My tags were unit 18 for second rifle, needless to say I turned them in for the partial refund. Our deer tags were good in a few other units but we like to hike in deep and the smoke haze was heavy, not much fun. Mostly bummed that the fire torched the area 6 miles in we had been hiking in to. We would only see a few people the whole week (mostly outfitters or on horse) and had tons of tracks all around. I'm just hoping everyone makes it through and theres plenty of grasses growing to lure them back next year.

If your tags are later and the fires are out, it might be worthwhile. I would expect a lot to have been pushed into adjacent units, could be a good opportunity.

They're offering refunds in a lot of areas. You can check the list online. The Colorado hunting Atlas is also showing current fire locations and where public lands have been closed. I would start there.

Looking at where 6 is and that it is surrounded by closures and fires, I would keep a close eye on it.

They're currently offering wildfire refunds ($15 processing fee) on:
EF006O2R
EF006P2R
DM006E1R

So, nothing for third rifle yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts