Colorado Elk Hunt

hmbleservant

I'm planning my first elk hunt ever! I'm at least one year out from the hunt. I started planning it 5 mins ago. I'm calling on the infinite advise of the longrangehunting community to help me with this hunt.

My goal is to plan a hunt that I can take my brother and father on for a serious elk hunt. We aren't chasing trophies by most people's standards, but would like to take a mature bull.

I will be using a 25-06 loaded with 115 gr. Berger VLD's. The rifle has the proper scope, bipod, trigger setup to take big game at extended ranges. I will have the load worked up long before the hunt (in time to practice a lot) with non-temp-sensitive powder. Depending on the Altitude/pressure, etc., I should be able to take the Bull somewhere between 650 to 850 yards as a MAX range shot. This will depend a lot on the elements, velocity my rifle likes, etc.

I want this to be a hunt on a budget. No outfitters. Public land hunt using over the counter tags. I would like for us to pitch a tent and sleep out in the wildernesss near the hunting grounds.

OK, so you know what I know now. I need a lot of advise at this point. Equipment and locations especially. Has anyone been on a Colorado elk hunt on public land? Where should I plan on starting geographically speaking?

My budget is approx. $3,000. I know that is a lot of money, but my goal is to spend most of it on equipment that can be used on future hunts to cut costs.

Thanks in advance everyone! All advise welcome!

PS: I live in Texas and don't probably don't even have a start on the clothing/apparel I will need.:D

Oh yeah, and incase you're wondering...I chose colorado because I was told it has some of the the best public land elk hunting available as far as price and odds go. Is this true?

Oh yeah, and incase you're wondering...I chose colorado because I was told it has some of the the best public land elk hunting available as far as price and odds go. Is this true?
I'd look at Idaho and MT as well. Idaho is 2/3 public land.

In reality unless you are an extremely proficient and experienced shooter I'd seriously suggest you limit your max range with that weapon to 600yds.

Where in Texas? I'm in Baylor County just SW of Wichita Falls.

your right....hate the humidity, but LOVE the winters.

what kind of binos do i need? all i have are cheapies

Did you lodge or camp out? public land hunt? what altitude?

I'm planning my first elk hunt ever! I'm at least one year out from the hunt. I started planning it 5 mins ago. I'm calling on the infinite advise of the longrangehunting community to help me with this hunt.

OK, so you know what I know now. I need a lot of advise at this point. Equipment and locations especially. Has anyone been on a Colorado elk hunt on public land? Where should I plan on starting geographically speaking?

My budget is approx. $3,000. I know that is a lot of money, but my goal is to spend most of it on equipment that can be used on future hunts to cut costs.

Thanks in advance everyone! All advise welcome!

PS: I live in Texas and don't probably don't even have a start on the clothing/apparel I will need.:D

We have hunted elk in public lands in Colorado for the last 20 years.
Elk are so tough that I've personally seen a large cow elk walk off and hide after a spine shot with a 300 mag at 200 yds. None of us could even guess how she did that, given the amount of spine damage. She was still breathing when we found her.

The best kill shot on elk is through the heart and lungs. Because it's terminal.
So lets say you get a perfect lung-heart-lung shot with your 25-06. Better have some comfortable boots and a large canteen. It gets pretty thirsty tracking a wounded elk uphill.
And I think you might be at it for a while. :D

You are asking for a disaster hunting elk with a 25-06 and bergers. Good chance you will lose a few before you finally get one. I would suggest keeping your 25-06 for a great little deer rifle and spending $400-$500 on a good elk rifle. That is the first thing you need to do.

Next, it is easy to find elk in Colorado on public land. Do a little research and you will have no problem there. But you do need an elk rifle.

I take two Coleman 5 day 100 qt extreme coolers. That will easily hold a boned out elk, several antelope and ice.

I would also agree that a 25-06 is on the light side for an amateur elk hunter

Thanks for the feedback everyone. What type of camp settup do yall suggest using for a Colorado public land hunt?

I've heard that I should go with a canvas tent and that I should bring a heater that doesn't emit carbon monoxide for inside tent. Anyone have any brands or something that I should consider in particular?

Will I be able to get my 4x4 full sized pickup truck and trailor off the road a good bit, say 2-3 miles to setup camp? or is that not practical for some reason due to...i don't know terrain, laws, etc.?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts