Colorado elk draw

Have you hunted this area or live around there?
I was there last year (2nd rifle) and found several carcasses from earlier seasons. So, I know there are elk, I just don't know how much pressure there will be in the early season?

I've hunted just a bit N of there, over the divide. Your advantage in early season is access, where you should be able to find a drainage that is a bit off from trails. Sounds like you know the area well enough.

I drew my 3rd season Deer tag but not my cow, I will get an OTC bull tag for 3rd season also. I drew my bull and deer tag for Montana also and probably going to get an antelope tag. The later half of this year should be way better than the beginning, I will be gone for at least 4 weeks maybe more. I may stay in Montana longer and hunt some wolves luckily a young man I kind of mentored lives there now and this will be his first year big game hunting.

Dang, all you guys got lucky. We,as a family didn't draw a single tag! But they have cut our elk tags in our area and archery went to draw only, so it looks like a 2nd or 3rd season bull tag.

Who else did the Secondary Draw? I didn't find anything I could use accept for another September muzzleloader tag for a doe, to go along with my buck tag.

CO_Guy, that's what we are discussing right now. We were looking at possibly going up around leadville/vail area, depends on how my buddy's mtn goat hunt turns out as well. His hunt may take up all our time but we will see

Going to be an interesting year, just received a 3rd season B list cow tag, through the secondary draw 👍.

Congrats! For which unit if you don't mind me asking? I think getting in on this 2nd draw is a good idea since it is a way to hit the leftovers early. I feel lucky each year because we end up getting 3-4 licenses of various types when I know a lot of folks that only get to hunt our beautiful state rarely. I ended up with with early buck and late doe pronghorn, plains archery for either sex/species on the same ranch we hunt the goats, and a golden wonka RFW cow elk tag.🤓

Congrats! For which unit if you don't mind me asking? I think getting in on this 2nd draw is a good idea since it is a way to hit the leftovers early. I feel lucky each year because we end up getting 3-4 licenses of various types when I know a lot of folks that only get to hunt our beautiful state rarely. I ended up with with early buck and late doe pronghorn, plains archery for either sex/species on the same ranch we hunt the goats, and a golden wonka RFW cow elk tag.🤓
I like to call them my "home units" 28, 37. Getting ready to get out there Goethe weekend and do some Fly fishing and drinking on the Colorado, and if time allows, early season muzzy buck deer scouting.

I like to call them my "home units" 28, 37. Getting ready to get out there Goethe weekend and do some Fly fishing and drinking on the Colorado, and if time allows, early season muzzy buck deer scouting.

Very nice areas. I've hunted the other side in unit 37, at the foot of Mt Powell near Lower Cataract Lake. It's fun to get the gear in the canoe and head to the inlet area. That place is crawling with deer. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.