Colorado Backpack Elk Hunt 08'

Does anyone know if first elk season in unit 751 is over the counter tag or is the first season draw only and then the second season over the counter?????? i had some guys telling me today that first season was draw only and i cant find it on the wildlife dept website

thanks
steve

All the above ^ posts apply.

... you have a good list and have chosen really good units for both elk and moolies. I worked in Bayfield several years and they got tons of game in them units. After the trip you'll see what stuff you lugged in that you never used and can let that stuff at home in 2009. Be sure to take a mirror as back up for your GPS batteries and loss of faith in your compass(source: my Colorado Corrections Dept training). Carrying too much ammo is a big drain on energy too.
Good luck.

Does anyone know if first elk season in unit 751 is over the counter tag or is the first season draw only and then the second season over the counter?????? i had some guys telling me today that first season was draw only and i cant find it on the wildlife dept website

thanks
steve

Oct 11-15 is all draw tags. This is the true "first season" for elk. The "first combined" deer and elk season is Oct 18-26 and is over-the-counter for bulls and has a 4-point restriction. All deer tags are by draw. Good luck.

There is a lot of good advice on this thread. As gay as it sounds, don't overlook one simple thing. Trim your toenails! The steep country and the inevitable sock-wad that occurs with layering can create a real problem if your toenails are too long. It's especially bad when packing down hill with an elk ham on your back.

Be prepared to de-bone the meat, unless you want to make seven trips per animal. If you choose not to de-bone the meat you can get it down to five if you leave the ribs for the coyotes. Each ham is one load, one shoulder and one backstrap is a load, and the cape and antlers is one load.

I highly recommend the use of electrolyte replacement/recovery drinks like Cytomax (go grape) for the packing out part.

Every time I pack out an elk I swear I will never do it again. Five months later I write a check for another tag application and tell myself it wasn't that bad...........

I strongly agree with the last tread skin it as soon as you gut it !! you will be glad you did,also dont buy the cheap game bags spend some money on the good onesbring plenty of good strong rope too

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.