Colorado ATV question

drenner43

This will be our 6th year Elk hunting Colorado. This year we are going a little different than usual. We will be hunting some private ground land locked with lots of public land and will be using ATV's to do our traveling to different locations. We will be between 6500-8000. We live in KY. Anyone from the east who has traveled out and used ATV's, did you have any trouble with your ATV's running good at the higher altitudes? Did you anything different before going? If you had problems, what did you do to combat them? Thanks for any help!

im from wyoming and i only hunt wyoming but i live at 4000 and have ridden at 10000 and with the fuel injected machines its no problem. if you have older carburated machines you need to be ready to adjust fuel/air ratio etc.

We are at about 1750 here, older machines. We have a good mechanic set the machines to run at 5000', the top of what we have here. That same adjustment has held fairly well in Nevada and Wyoming to about 8000' or 9000'. The closer to 9000 starting, idle, and running all are a bit rough. Not unmanageable but noticeable. Some folks carry kits, and field tune when needed.

When I lived out there in '88 had no trouble with a Carbed Kawasaki 3 wheeler. Now I have an EFI quad. Where you guys from in Ky. and what season and area are you hunting? I'm headed out 3rd rifle in area 54.

It's an 05 Rincon so it is carb. I would assume it would be no more than an air/fuel adjustment, it shouldn't be as extreme as a jet at those altitudes should it?

We live in Stanford, KY, what about you? We will be hunting 22 in the 3rd season also.

You'll lose about 2 to 3% horsepower per 1000 feet altitude. Hardly noticeable. Only thing I jetted out there was my '68 Mustang. Kicking the 4 bbl in was like flushing the toilet but without the 'woosh'. I don't think you will have any problems. Bring a spare spark plug though in case you foul one out.
I'm a little north of you in Scott County. My folks live down near Green River Lake. They came back from Gunnison 7 years ago after being out there 20 years after retirement.
GMU 22. Meeker. Good area. Lot of private land, but as long as everyone keeps the elk moving it's a great location.
Good luck to you and hope we have some snow flying by then. Long range forecast seems to be trending that way.

You'll lose about 2 to 3% horsepower per 1000 feet altitude. Hardly noticeable. Only thing I jetted out there was my '68 Mustang. Kicking the 4 bbl in was like flushing the toilet but without the 'woosh'. I don't think you will have any problems. Bring a spare spark plug though in case you foul one out.
I'm a little north of you in Scott County. My folks live down near Green River Lake. They came back from Gunnison 7 years ago after being out there 20 years after retirement.
GMU 22. Meeker. Good area. Lot of private land, but as long as everyone keeps the elk moving it's a great location.
Good luck to you and hope we have some snow flying by then. Long range forecast seems to be trending that way.

Good idea on the plug, need to add that to the list! Yeah you aren't too far at all, about an hour and a half. Yep, that'd be it. This will be our 6th year out there. We usually hunt 21 and 22 on public land. Found a place with a little bit of private land that ties to public land that is pretty much land locked, that's what we will be hunting this year. Really hoping for some snow.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.