Collet style bullet puller Question

winmagman

I'm in need of a little advice on which brand works best and is the easiest to use. I was browsing Midway and saw ones by Hornady, RCBS and Forster. Anybody that has used any of the above let me know what you think, or recommend another brand.
I'm working on a 7mm SAUM project and I find the cases won't fit in a RCBS kinnetic style bullet puller. Really don't need another hammer style even if the 7mm SAUM would fit.
Thanks in advance
Chris

When I learned of the danger of using Kinetic bullet pullers many years ago I bought all the collets for the R.C.B.S. and have never had a problem with them. I also use a Pair of plier type of pullers made by Davidson that work faster on light crimp ctgs.

Winmagman,

I use the kinetic puller (RCBS or Redding?) but use standard shellholders in it instead of the collet contraption, even for the big Weatherby case, 338 Lapua etc. but you'll need to open it up with a drill bit (9/16" to 5/8") slightly. There might be something in the cap that needs drilling out some if I remember correctly, to use a regular shellholder that is.

I've heard of the dangers of kinetic puller but never a real situation where a round has went off knocking a bullet out. I don't see how one could anyway. I see more of a safety issue seating primers than knocking bullets out. Another advantage with a kinetic puller is the bullets are not distorted and basically ruined when they come out.

At any rate it's an easy fix to fit the WSM and bigger cases in one.

[ QUOTE ]
Not being stupid, but what danger with Kinetic pullers? Just for those of us that haven't heard.

[/ QUOTE ] Years ago on a product review, the then Editor of Rifle and Handloader magazine, had a discharge with one in the office at Wolf publishing in the then down town office of Prescott, Arizona. This was related to me by the Man himself, Dr. Ken Howel. I've never been bitten by a rattle snake either, but then I've never stuck my hand in ones mouth to see if it's true, that they can cause harm. I've only taken the word of those That have been bitten. In response to Brent, I suppose shock may play a role. Does anyone remember why or how we have hazmat fees on shipping primers? It all started with a UPS driver that was killed shipping Federal primers. Anyone remember the sudden change that Federal made to there packaging afterwards? Has anyone ever walked over spilled powder such as H870 or 5010 on a concrete floor and noticed the popping sounds?

P.S. Dr.Howell can be contacted on the web-site, 24 hour campfire.com and asked this same question! I believe the NRA conducted similar tests in the 1970's and came to similar conclusions. I don't sell or make either so really don't care what any of you use. Only use the two systems I mentioned in my first response. I do wonder about the fact that with the kinetic type puller you have a live ctg. contained just like in a rifle chamber. But what the hey, whatever turns you on.

Brent
Thanks for the tip. The standard shellholder works like a charm, no drilling needed. Since I only take 10-20 rounds apart finding OAL and during pressure testing this should do the trick.

3six
That's definitely some food for thought. I never thought about the shell being in a chamber type enviroment, even if it is plastic, I'd be curious to see what happened when that went off. Just not curious enough to try it.

Thanks for the replies
Chris

This Happened to me!

Primer went off while extracting a bullet from a live cartridge!!

Facts: I had a case with an expanded primer pocket. The primer went in super easy but did not fall out. (I shot too many hot loads and didn't bother to pitch the case when I noticed the loose fit but decided to use the case one more time).

What Happened:
For whatever reason, I don't remember why, I decided to change my load and wanted to pull the bullet on this cartridge with the loose primer pocket. I put the cartridge in the kinetic puller and started hammering away. All of the sudden there was a loud "POP" and the primer seemed to jump straight up in the air and go off.

After further deduction, I beleive this is what really happened:
On one of the hammering impacts, the loose primer bounced up, but did not fly out because of a slight restriciton around the rim of the primer that kept it from flying completely out of the shell. Now with the primer sitting approx. 1/32" above its seat, the next hammer blow drove it forward with enough force so that when it hit the base of the pocket seat it went off./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

When the primer went off, the pocket was loose enough that it launched the primer straigt up and away from the case.

Luckily for me the ignition of the primer launched it away from the powder charge and it did not explode. Luckily modern rifle propellants do not ignite easily. Had it been black powder, things may have turned out differently.

If that cartridge would have exploded, I would probably have had lots of plastic and brass in my eyes and face.

I still consider myself extremely lucky that the poweder charge did not ignite.

I have not used a kinetic puller since, and don't intend to ever again.
I also don't use cases with loose primer pockets anymore. If I press in a primer and I feel that it went into the case way too easy, I will put the empty case "with primer only" , into my rifle, fire off the primer and pitch the case. (never throw an case in the trash with a live primer as its a great way to make for a high fire potential for you or your trash man).

Reloading is a very simple process, but its also very simple to make a life altering mistake. Always use forethought. I decided to pull the bullet from this cartridge several days after I loaded it and forgot that I had a loose pocket on one of the cases. To prevent this from ever happening again, I simply don't use cases with loose pockets.

I also read about a guy that had a bolt go thru his hand when he chamered a re-loaded round into his 30-378Wby. I read that it could have been a broken firing pin that was protruding thru the bolt face. It could also have been a loose primer sticking out partialy so that when he slammed the bolt forward, it went off.
There are so many variables that its hard to say what happened.
All that we can do is to learn from other peoples mistakes and be aware of as many hazardous possibilites as we can. Remember nothing is full proof. Be meticulous about inspecting your equipment and cartridges .

Good luck and be safe,
Vic

I just ordered a Forrester Collet Bullet Puller last week. I want to disassemble some 280 Rem loads im preperation for a 280 Rem AI I am having made.
I didn't want to use my kinetic puller for 50 rounds.

Regards,

JD338

Also do the collet type pullers damage the bullet in any way? I currently use a RCBS and a Dillon kinetic type puller, but on my accubonds and ballistic tips the tips are ruined after I pull them. Just adding to the original question.

[ QUOTE ]
Also do the collet type pullers damage the bullet in any way? I currently use a RCBS and a Dillon kinetic type puller, but on my accubonds and ballistic tips the tips are ruined after I pull them. Just adding to the original question.

[/ QUOTE ] You have to get a feel for how much pressure to apply to the screw to grip the bullet with the collet puller, over tighten and you will mar the sides of the bullet. Not enough pressure and the bullet will pull out of the collet.

I use the RCBS collet puller and it works great. About two months ago my best friend called me and related how he was pulling bullets from some old ammo with his kinetic puller. He was really shaken up. He had a primer go off in the puller. The powder did not ignite but it sure got his attention. He asked me for advise. I told him to throw the kinetic puller in the trash and go out and buy an RCBS collet puller. We both shoot BPCR Silhouette and I am just happy that he was not pulling a BPCR cartridge when the primer went off as I am sure the BP would have ingited. It has and does happen. Those things are dangerous.

I use the RCBS collet puller. When I load I always do up at least 100. That said if I discover a mistake then I have to pull 100. If your careful it doesn't hurt the bullets at all. I reuse them anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.