Collecting velocity data during barrel break-in?

upload_2019-10-25_11-58-18-jpeg.154840

YES! I knew that Angles were Left Handed.
You made my Day!

When I rebarreled my 6.5-284 Norma with a beautiful Krieger barrel, I took my time and was meticulous with the break in. 1 shot, clean, 1 shot, clean, etc until I saw the velocity level out,like the others have stated. This happened around 15 rounds. And the next 5 all had an ES of 4. So, thought I was done. Did my load development with 2 different bullets and was very happy. Took it out to practice and my groups all had opened up and I was now getting pressure signs. Shot my pet loads over my Magnetto and found velocity had increased about 80 fps. I was now a little over the 100 rounds down the tube. Had to dial everything back to get it to the velocities the barrel liked, and, then, all was good. So, see where things are at once you get around 100 rounds shot.

This is a perfect example of the difference between break in, and velocity stabilization. The two processes are very different with different end results. Barrel break in processes will help speed up cleaning, but it will not affect the amount of rounds it takes for your velocity to stabilize. It's something you just have to ride out until you get at least 75-100 rounds down range.

This is a perfect example of the difference between break in, and velocity stabilization. The two processes are very different with different end results. Barrel break in processes will help speed up cleaning, but it will not affect the amount of rounds it takes for your velocity to stabilize. It's something you just have to ride out until you get at least 75-100 rounds down range.
That's good to know. I finished breaking the barrel in last night and the velocity spread was aweful at 2984fps low to 3092fps high and an average velocity of 3067fps from factory loaded Nosler ammunition. I came home a little disappointed in Nosler's factory ammo but I suppose after I finished breaking it in and after I final clean i shot a fowler shot and then a 5-shot group and all five rounds were touching and dead center on the target so I can't be too disappointed. It's g2g for hunting next month at the very least

here is one great reason to collect speeds during break in. once the speeds even out, the barrel has broken in. during break in the speeds will vary greatly. also the initial speed will be between 100 to 175 FPS slower than your final speed after break in. you should see a steady increase in speed as you break in the barrel. if you hand lap the barrel a bit before you hit the range you will find that the break in is shortened, the cleaning after every shot is easier, and your accuracy will be better after your barrel is broken in.

here is one great reason to collect speeds during break in. once the speeds even out, the barrel has broken in. during break in the speeds will vary greatly. also the initial speed will be between 100 to 175 FPS slower than your final speed after break in. you should see a steady increase in speed as you break in the barrel. if you hand lap the barrel a bit before you hit the range you will find that the break in is shortened, the cleaning after every shot is easier, and your accuracy will be better after your barrel is broken in.
I hadn't noticed a trend in my velocities while shooting but my MagnetoSpeed V3 only shows me the last 3 velocities. I'll be downloading and plotting the data trend tonight when I get home.

What do ya'll think about using the tubs final finish to during break.-in. Do you think it will speed things up, help with accuracy, anyone ever used it or used it on an old barrel?
I think I might try this on an old barrel and see what it does.

Copy that. I also have a Criterion barrel in .280AI (bought this past May) spun onto a Savage 110 action. I load the Berger 168 vld's for @ 2830 FPS (Magnetospeed) and was curious which Nosler ammo corresponded with your listed velocities. Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.