Collecting velocity data during barrel break-in?

SavageHunter11

Going out to break-in the barrel on my freshly built 280A.I. this weekend and I was wondering if I can collect good velocity data while I am breaking-in the barrel? Especially since I'm using a MagnetoSpeed V3 it would be nice to gather the data before I sight it in and zero it.

velocity data helps you know when the barrel is broken in-- you should see an increase in velocity until the barrel is broken in, then see a flattening off of the velocity once the barrel is lapped in by the bullets

after you see the increase flatten off then you can see what your speeds will be

velocity data helps you know when the barrel is broken in-- you should see an increase in velocity until the barrel is broken in, then see a flattening off of the velocity once the barrel is lapped in by the bullets

after you see the increase flatten off then you can see what your speeds will be
Not what I wanted to hear but it's what I expected to hear. Thank you for the input.

how many rounds to break the barrel in will depend on what barrel it is -- factory mass produced barrels can take a while-- some high quality "custom" barrels that come hand lapped can take less than 20 rounds--really depends on how rough the machining is in the bore

Last edited:
how many rounds to brake the barrel in will depend on what barrel it is -- factory mass produced barrels can take a while-- some high quality "custom" barrels that come hand lapped can take less than 20 rounds--really depends on how rough the machining is in the bore
It's a lapped barrel from Criterion. They don't specify a specific break in procedure but do state it shouldn't take much. I plan to use procedure Nosler has on their website with some slight modification.
  • 7 to 10 single shot groups, cleaning in between each.
  • 3 to 5 three shot groups cleaning in between each group.
  • 1 five shot group and clean
  • 1 fowling shot
  • 1 three-shot group for accuracy
Should be a 25 to 34 round break-in depending on how much fowling is present towards the tail end of steps 1 and 2.

I usually break in a barrel with either factory ammo or fireforming brass-- I keep the powder charges the same so I can watch the velocity increase and then flatten off

others may do this different as it is an area with much debate
I'm using factory loaded Nosler ammo to break in and hunt with this year and that's only if it shoots the factory stuff well. Wasn't enough time to develop a load after I got the rifle back from the gunsmith. I'm taking my 6.5x55 Swede scout rifle out to verify zero as a back up deer rifle if the 280 A.I. ends up being fussy.

I usually break in a barrel with either factory ammo or fireforming brass-- I keep the powder charges the same so I can watch the velocity increase and then flatten off

others may do this different as it is an area with much debate
I do the same thing. This is a good time to get to know your rifle kinda like a first date if you will while also getting your brass formed. You can get a general idea on velocities but as mentioned this is going to change slightly once barrel is broke in. Much like trying to do load work with brand new brass. Once the brass has stetched and is actually fireformed you will have to deviate from those initial charges unless you just have a big node because of the case capacity difference from new to formed brass.

I can't wait to see the look on my wife's face when I tell her I'm going on a first date with my new rifle tomorrow.
upload_2019-10-25_11-58-18.jpeg

When I rebarreled my 6.5-284 Norma with a beautiful Krieger barrel, I took my time and was meticulous with the break in. 1 shot, clean, 1 shot, clean, etc until I saw the velocity level out,like the others have stated. This happened around 15 rounds. And the next 5 all had an ES of 4. So, thought I was done. Did my load development with 2 different bullets and was very happy. Took it out to practice and my groups all had opened up and I was now getting pressure signs. Shot my pet loads over my Magnetto and found velocity had increased about 80 fps. I was now a little over the 100 rounds down the tube. Had to dial everything back to get it to the velocities the barrel liked, and, then, all was good. So, see where things are at once you get around 100 rounds shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.