Collars

idcwby

Anyone using the Garmin Alpha series? What do you like about it or don't? Any others similar to look at?

I'm a hunter first that trains my own dogs, I read once that one needs to decide if they want to train or hunt. The Alpha is more of a hunting collar and it perfect for that. I've been using the Alpha 100 for the last 7 years or so. I have Drahthaars (currently 2, one has passed) and a Teckel (wirehair dachshund). I have 3 collars and can run all 3 dogs on it when we go for walks or hunt. I have a Montana OnX chip in the Alpha 100 as well. Most of my Drahthaar buddies run one as well. It has good training value as well. It's easy to see where the dog is or what they are doing. I like the ability to set the buttons how you want. I use "momentary" and "vibrate" the most. I train my dogs to whistle commands but I started using vibrate after my old dog became deaf. Hunting pheasants I like to be as quiet as possible and the vibrate really helps. My dogs can range out and being able to see where they are on the hand held is a big piece of mind that helps one keep from "hacking" on the dog. I've "watched" my dogs chase a jackrabbit a mile, and watched their return on the hand held a couple of times.
I dont have many negatives with the Alpha 100, reading the screen in the sun can be a challenge and as I age the screen is hard to read.
I have seen the new Alpha 200 and like it a lot and would have upgraded to it but the fact that its not OnX compatible made it a non-starter for me. But I really like the larger screen that's easier to read in the day light. I know you can use a smart phone with OnX but Montana has a lot of dead spots without cell coverage and I never seem to down load maps on it. The Alpha 200 also has a built in "In Reach" which would be perfect for our dead spots for phones. If only it was OnX compatible. I hope this helps (sorry if my post is rambling)

I have nothing but love for my Alpha 100. It gives me the freedom to let my dog hunt a bit wider in heavy cover. He is trained to recall with the vibration mode. I too use the Onx map chip in mine. I have been running GWPs for the last 25 years and wish I could have had this for them all. Started with bells and moved to beeper collars, silence is golden.😉

Is there enough stimulation if you need to correct them? Sounds like the 100 is better if you want to run maps. How long do the batteries last?

Yes there is all the correction you could ever want or need. Battery life has been very good for me, never run dead on a days hunt. Quick charges very well at home or in the car. I use mine daily for the most part while we go for training run. Love the data provided regarding dogs average speed, miles traveled, etc.

I train and use Jagdterriers. I have the Garmin Alpha and run the mini collars. Love it and I am not using a tenth of everything it is capable of. Batteries on collars and handheld hold up for roughly 12 hours at my settings. Settings and activity can lengthen or shorten that time considerably.
Small screen in bright sun is a downside. Very hard to see.
Flat ground range with the mini collars in my area is about 3/4 mile. Any elevation changes will improve that immensely.
Stimulation is there. Almost never have to go to max. Jagds are square headed little German dogs and it will back them down.

I have been told i can replace batteries, collars, and antenna myself if needed. Haven't needed to yet. I like commercial grade and replacement parts.

I use what I think is called "traditional" setting, goes from low, medium, and high with 1-6 settings for each. I've never used any setting above medium, I usually use a medium 2 or 3. I forgot to mention there are "continuous" and "tone" settings as well as the previous mentioned "momentary" and "vibrate"

Another thing I just thought about is I have both regular TT15 collars and a TT15 mini collar. it seems to me that the mini batteries do not last as long as the regular TT15 collars. It's not a big difference but something to keep in mind.

What's the difference in the collars? Didn't realize there was two sizes. The more I'm reading and learning from everyone, I'm thinking the 100 will work best for me. Does anyone know if you can connect a collar that isn't a tracking collar and use it as a regular shock collar?

Another thing I like about my setup is I have a Garmin Instinct watch paired to the Alpha so while drinking a quick glance at my wrist shows direction and distance to dog. On point alert and breaching my preset maximum range warning shows as well.

idcwby, the TT15 mini collar is just smaller for smaller dogs. for small dogs like our 20 lbs Teckel (wirehair dachshund) is is a much better size. The width of the collar is smaller and the "box" (that hangs under the neck) with the electronics is smaller. The antenna and satellite tracking antenna are the same size on both collars. For most hunting breeds I think the "regular" sized TT15 is fine. I dont know about connecting other collars to the Alpha, I've only used TT collars.

I'm a hunter first that trains my own dogs, I read once that one needs to decide if they want to train or hunt. The Alpha is more of a hunting collar and it perfect for that. I've been using the Alpha 100 for the last 7 years or so. I have Drahthaars (currently 2, one has passed) and a Teckel (wirehair dachshund). I have 3 collars and can run all 3 dogs on it when we go for walks or hunt. I have a Montana OnX chip in the Alpha 100 as well. Most of my Drahthaar buddies run one as well. It has good training value as well. It's easy to see where the dog is or what they are doing. I like the ability to set the buttons how you want. I use "momentary" and "vibrate" the most. I train my dogs to whistle commands but I started using vibrate after my old dog became deaf. Hunting pheasants I like to be as quiet as possible and the vibrate really helps. My dogs can range out and being able to see where they are on the hand held is a big piece of mind that helps one keep from "hacking" on the dog. I've "watched" my dogs chase a jackrabbit a mile, and watched their return on the hand held a couple of times.
I dont have many negatives with the Alpha 100, reading the screen in the sun can be a challenge and as I age the screen is hard to read.
I have seen the new Alpha 200 and like it a lot and would have upgraded to it but the fact that its not OnX compatible made it a non-starter for me. But I really like the larger screen that's easier to read in the day light. I know you can use a smart phone with OnX but Montana has a lot of dead spots without cell coverage and I never seem to down load maps on it. The Alpha 200 also has a built in "In Reach" which would be perfect for our dead spots for phones. If only it was OnX compatible. I hope this helps (sorry if my post is rambling)
I've used alpha since day one, but also I like Dogtra

I believe you can go to Garmin and download the owners manual to learn more about all the capabilities.
Personally, I am trying to figure out how to force the system to give all readouts in yards. Anything past 800-900 yards and it switches to fraction miles. I want to use it to set up some long range shots past what my laser range finder will reach.