collared coyote

rjmarine

i shot coyote with a collar and i have never seen this before. has anybody else ever seen or shot a coyote with a collar ? it had no # or I.D. on it so i do not even know who was doing the study . but it was the very 1st shot fired out of my new ultra light arms after i sited it in.

Attachments

• DSCN1207.JPG
    DSCN1207.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 69
good shot and good looking rifle..are you sure he was not one of your pets???

They collar some in Colorado but they have tags and you have to report them;
they are now putting radio control collars here so when they go down, they know it and will trace them. Same with buckskin..
I can;t help you but I did enjoy your picture///Mabey I can send you some of mine....Keep up the good work... titiantwo from Colorado

lol yep im sure it was a coyote. it was a type of tracking collar with ant. and was bolted on. im in western montana and it was shot 150 yrds out in front of my house
and no house behind me for about 70 miles. nothing but trees. i still have the collar and will try to get a better pic of it

lol yep im sure it was a coyote. it was a type of tracking collar with ant. and was bolted on. im in western montana and it was shot 150 yrds out in front of my house
and no house behind me for about 70 miles. nothing but trees. i still have the collar and will try to get a better pic of it

Make a call to your local warden - If he doesn't know anything I'm sure he has the resources to find out. Good Job !!!

Only thing better than that would have been if it had been a WOOF!

How olds your Jack Russel? I sure miss mine. He was the biggest in the litter and weight 23 lbs at 3 years old, no fat, just muscle. He was hell on Coyotes.

Spent every day of his life trying to kill it or screw it.

He was the best.

you just shot it or in 2009 ? maybe you're like me and don't mess with the date stamp on the old camera :)

have a good friend in Montana that might know something.. will send him word.

a cpl new pix of the collar. as you can see it is not a pet or hunting type collar
and my 2 jacks are always out hunting with me . they are 8 and 6 yrs old

Attachments

• DSCN2794.JPG
    DSCN2794.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN2797.JPG
    DSCN2797.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN1369.JPG
    DSCN1369.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Take a really close look at the inside of the collar. You are looking for old sharpie marks, or especially marks that look like they were scratched with an awl, etc. Often agencies will scratch frequency numbers along with other info on the inside, but they can be really hard to see after the collar has been on for a while. Get it under a good light and look CLOSE.

no they did not help with the hunting only after they come along for the ride back to the truck. i try not to let them run wild in this area as there are some rattlesnakes out this time of year. and thanks on the rifle its a ultra light chambered in 25x47 and works very well on everything i hunt with it up to caribou.

Jacks are awsome dogs,

My buddy was in africa hunting 5 years ago, hit a big Kudu but bullet smashed on some shoulder bone and the tracking was getting tough.

The PH sent a tracker to "get the dogs" Dan waited thinking these dogs would be some wolf like animal that could take down a zebra.

Here the tracker shows up with 2 jacks, and Dan starts laughing and giving the PH a hard time about his "toys"

So Dan says off go those 2 jacks and they start to follow them, after about a mile walk they her the Jacks yapping and carrying on. The PH and trackers start running and are telling Dan to hurry up.

Dan said when they came around the brush 75 yards away was this Kudu with one jack clamped on it's flank and the other clamped on its neck. The Kudo was jumping around trying to shake them off.

In that moment of a **** storm the PHs only advice to Dan was
"You shoot one of my babies and the price of that Kudu doubles"

He fell the kudu and the dogs came away unscathed.

Nice Dogs!

I have a 1/2 Jack 1/2 Beagle that has the nose of a beagle and about 3/4 the energy of a Jack. He's a handful, but can follow a blood trail! (smartest dog I've ever had)

AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.