Cold Weather Reloading

StevenD

Folks,

I'm new to LRH and need to ask a question about reloading for cold weather. I know that barrels and the like shrink somewhat in cold weather and as such, am seeing signs of pressure in loads that were fine in warm weather. I'm shooting a 204 Ruger for varmints in Colorado and Wyoming and noticed these signs in primer flow, even in factory loads from shots taken on cold mornings. Extraction is ok and the brass is new.

Does anyone out there have an idea as to just how much a load should be backed down for, say a 70 degree drop in temperature, percentage wise or whatever?

Interesting - It is more common for shooters to slightly increase their powder charge to accomodate for the loss in velocity due to sinificant drops in ambient temperatures.

I have never heard of chamber pressure rising with a fall in temperature. Learn something new every day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i'll second what VH said and add i don't think your problem is powder quanity or ignition related.my bet is you have something physically wrong like the necks are being pinched.measure the neck dia. of your fired rounds and compare with loaded unfired.also check to see if the tip of the neck is not hitting against the end of your chamber.please keep us posted, i'd like to know what's causing this situation.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.