cold weather preasures

harfman99

Hello everyone.

I was out doing some load workup with my 7 ultra today and had some problems with over preasuring cases. The temp out today was a balmy -5 deg F. The loads was 91-93 grns of T870 in half grn increments,fed 215's, berger and jlk 180's. The avening did not yield very good results. I started out with the bergers and doing five rounds of microlon with the sighters. The first round sounded and felt really good untill i ejected the spent case. I did not expect to see what i did. There was a nice shiny extrusion where the brass flowed into the extractor. Being that the bolt didn't lift heavy I fired another four and still showing preasures. the rifle being sighted in i moved back to 200yrds to see if either bullet was going to work at these preasures. I shot the jlks first @ 91grns and also still showing preasures. Next were the bergers with the same charge. By this time I was getting cold and put five down fairly quickly and noticed as the barrel warmed the preasure signs went away. The barrel is a Shilen select match in a 7H taper @31".

The Question is has anyone had this same problem. From the data that i have found 91 grns should have been a good starting point.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.