cold weather hammock

jnoel2279

Ok I'm a newbie to Hammocks(din't get one yet)(Christmas is close though) I want to know how do you stay warm when the temps drop? please expalin I'm really new and want to do some high mtn. hunts this coming year. thanks

use a quilt like this
works-as-hammock-kat-90x90.jpg

here are some websites for good quilts
The Katahdin Quilt | Jacksrbetter

I think I'm going to get one of these
ENLIGHTENED EQUIPMENT | Ultralight Camping Quilts - 1.1oz. nylon, cuben fiber, 850 fill down, climashield apex insulated

hope this helps

I would start by getting a good hammock that is set up properly for cold weather. I recommend Hennessy hammocks for any serious outdoor use. Here is the link:

Hennessy Hammock

I have one, but have not equipped it for cold weather. It's on my to do list...

Also check out Warbonnet Blackbird hammock- love mine- very innovative with bug net, a shelf and a foot box. For warmth, under quilt is the way to go. Lots of options. Best place to research hammock camping is hammockforums.net . Great info there. Jack's-R-Better, kick *** quilts, and Warbonnet all make good quilt options. You'll need an over quilt or a sleeping bag on top. I've got a Hammock Gear Incubator and love it. Check this crazy guys video's about hammock camping basics: http://m.youtube.com/#/user/shugemery?&desktop_uri=/user/shugemery . Good info from him, and funny! You're also going to need a good tarp. Good luck with your research, lots of variables.

The reason you get cold is you compress you bag insulation at certain points. When you are on the ground, the ground and/or sleeping pad serve as insulation but in a hammock there is only cold air below. So, you must get some insulation that doesn't compress below those areas where your bag compresses (on me it is my hip and shoulder).

The quilt above is the best solution IMO. I have a Hennessy and I sewed some silnylon on the underside and filled it with down. There are commercial solutions as well.

I get my fabrics from Seattle Fabrics. That is a link to their nylon page. Here is a link to how to sew silnylon.

Here is a list of sources for down. Here is where I purchased my down.

I have never tried the Hennessy Super Shelter. You might check the reviews on that. And the quilt in the above post is about what I made. I would look at that option unless you have access to a sewing machine and like to do things yourself.

Hope that helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.