Cold weather boots

ford32

I need a new pair of hunting boots. I have looked at the Kenetrek mountain extreme. Anybody out in the cold weather regions ( mountains) that still hunt use these or can make a suggestion.

I don't have personal experience with these boots but on last year's elk hunt in CO, one of the hunters in our party had a pair. We hunted 2nd rifle season in a cold rain and snow a couple of days at altitudes from 8,500 and 10,000+ ft. He had high praise for the boots and, while most of the rest of the party had wet feet by the end of each day, his stayed dry and at most, were only damp from sweat. I recently bought a pair for this year's hunt and they were comfortable right out of the box. They are true to size and one of the best fitting boot that I've tried. I don't think they will require much of a break-in period.

I dint have any first hand experience with those boots, nor do I know anyone who does, so I'm at a loss for advise there.

However, if you'd like to know what works well for us.....
I have used Whites snow packs for years. Just recently I started using Schnees liners, & aftermarket insoles in my Whites packs. They're comfy, for all day work, or hunts, & lots of miles. I hunt hard in snow from wet slop, to knee/thigh deep, wherever the Elk are. I hunt a veriety of terrain from rolling hills to "holy crap" that's steep! Whites hold up, plain & simple. They're tihe only snow packs I've ever been able to use for more than 1 year before coming apart. My current set is 4 years old, & will get rebuilt this year.
If you want rugged, & don't mind a little extra weight, Whites are a great boot.
All my logger buddy's were them in the winter too. That should tell you something about thier longevity, & dependability.

Thanks guys,

1. So how do you think these will do sitting in a metal stand for say about 4-6 hours? Dont want to pull the trigger and hit low and have my feet suffer>

2 WM where did you get yours from and was that the best price?

Last edited:
I think the boots would be OK for tree stand hunting but an overkill for sure. They are very stiff boots designed for giving support under the weight of a heavy backpack while trekking in mountains. When you're actively climbing, walking and stalking, you don't need as much insulation. For tree stand hunting in cold weather, I'd look at Irish Setters, Rocky's or Danners with 800 or 1,000 grams of thinsulate. If you are spending more time in a tree stand, I personally think you can get by with a less durable and less expensive boot.

I don't know anything about sitting still in a tree stand. Tried it once, & that was the longest 15minutes of my life!:D
I gotta spot & stalk, or "still hunt". I'm weird like that. Love fishing in rivers, & streams too, but can't stand fishing in lakes & ponds.

My guess would be that you'd need more insulation & less ruggedness if your in a treestand. Less movement equates to more seceptible to cold. You likely wouldn't want to pay around $200 for boots that rugged, just to walk to a treestand & climb a few spikes, when much cheaper boots can be found on sale at Bass Pro or Cabellas, & worn with overboots, or booties when you get there.

I could be way off in my thinking tho. Ive never hunted in the South.

I will be hunting in Park Rapids, MN. Thanks for all your help.. I have a pair of Cabela's 1200 gram boots and my feet still get cold..So i said no more. Thats why im looking seeking suggestions..
Thanks again!

Hard to keep anything warm in MN when it gets really cold. For tree stand hunting, I'd look at a pair ArcticShield® Boot Covers. They are made for tree stand hunting. You don't walk to your tree stand in them but rather, put them on once you're in your stand. I don't have a pair, but I do use ArcticShield clothing (pants and jacket) and they are light weight and warm.

If you are climbing up and down hills you will want a boot that will keep your feet from shifting.
I have used Cabelas boot made by MENDEL..They are my choice because my rt foot was crushed in 1978, now I have a 10D on my left and a 81/2EEE on my right. I realy like them when I am Ice
fishing. Thats the extreme test for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts