Cold bore testing

Threejs

After reading about cold bore shooting and experiencing some strange groups from my rifle I decided to put a theory to the test. I set up a target at 100 yds. The target was a typical 5 bull target. I did not use the center in my test. I set my rifle in my house (75ish degrees) so it would always start cold bore at about 75. I was going to shoot my first round cold bore at the bottom left then immediately rack my rifle and shoot the second shot at the bottom right. Then take my rifle back inside and wait 45 minutes to allow it to cool to 75. I repeated this 3 times so I had a 3 shot cold bore group and a 3 shot warm bore (?) group. Then I changed ammo and repeated the process.

Ammo 1: 300 win mag. Winchester 180 ballistic silver tip

Group 1: cold bore approx 1.25"
Group 2: warm bore approx .450"

Ammo 2: 300 Win hornady precision hunter 200 ELD-X

Group 2: warm bore less than .450"

I will admit that I made a couple rough shots with the cold bore shooting. But not 1.25" rough. My gun straight pounds. Sub .5" is common. Especially the hornady ammo.

This process took me literally 8 hours. But was interesting. And enjoyable.

I don't know if anyone else has played around with this but if you haven't you should. It was fun

I agree, experimenting is fun and educational as well. Now add in there clean cold bore.
Something I would recommend is to do a little dry firing before firing that first round off. If I'm trying to get the most accuracy from a rifle I do this as I can literally feel myself calming down and "see" the results through the scope onto the target.

That is a good point. I dry fired 1-2 aimed shots before my cold bore shot to try to get as accurate as I could. I do believe some of the grouping difference was potentially me. I cleaned my gun well and I'm going to test it tomorrow at 250-400 yds

Bumping this thread.

I have been doing some cold-bore mapping.

I place 2 targets at 500 yards.

I warm up by firing other rifle first....and dry fire test rifle at least 10 times to get settled.

I fire single shot at Target 1( cold bore)

I then fire 3 at Target 2.

I haven't finished testing but cold bore seems to be 6-8 inches right of group with warm barrel? Fairly consistent.

The other group is usually 4 inches....with 2 bullets within 2 inches....so I am wondering if those are shots 3,4?

I will probably end up zeroing for 1 shot cold bore and adjust for follow up.(hunting rifle).

After reading about cold bore shooting and experiencing some strange groups from my rifle I decided to put a theory to the test. I set up a target at 100 yds. The target was a typical 5 bull target. I did not use the center in my test. I set my rifle in my house (75ish degrees) so it would always start cold bore at about 75. I was going to shoot my first round cold bore at the bottom left then immediately rack my rifle and shoot the second shot at the bottom right. Then take my rifle back inside and wait 45 minutes to allow it to cool to 75. I repeated this 3 times so I had a 3 shot cold bore group and a 3 shot warm bore (?) group. Then I changed ammo and repeated the process.

Ammo 1: 300 win mag. Winchester 180 ballistic silver tip

Group 2: warm bore approx .450"

Ammo 2: 300 Win hornady precision hunter 200 ELD-X

Group 2: warm bore less than .450"

I will admit that I made a couple rough shots with the cold bore shooting. But not 1.25" rough. My gun straight pounds. Sub .5" is common. Especially the hornady ammo.

This process took me literally 8 hours. But was interesting. And enjoyable.

I don't know if anyone else has played around with this but if you haven't you should. It was fun
If you're firing 2 quick shots it's no longer a "Cold Bore".

Try this.

Shoot one.

Go away.

Come back later. Shoot again.

Reapeat for a total of 3. That will give you a true cold bore comparison.

Spread those shots by at least ten minutes.

If you want, then just try a normal group of 3 at a liesurely pace.

Compare.

Now, simulate an actual hunting situation where the first shot misses or otherwise fails to anchor by firing one, then two in quick succession like you would on an animal running away.

If your normal 3 shot group shot leisurely is beter than your previous quick two shot groups, odds are it's the user hurrying the shots.

You can also do the 3 quick several times and compare to your normal 3 and the two shot groups.

There's no reason a leisurely 3 shot group should not be tighter than anything you're shooting quickly. Groups do not get better with speed.

Most rifle barrels ether like a cold clean barrel or like a fouling shot first and then group well.

I have both and know which ones they are.

Some of my rifles will start out clean and shoot 3 or 4 realy tight hits before fouling starts to effect grouping.

The others will shoot the first round normally high and right and then group the next 4 together so the total group is around 1 MOA counting the first shot. With these rifles I shoot one fouling shot, dry patch and they are ready to go hunting.

With hunting rifles it is important to know what type rifle you have and have it sited in for that first cold bore shot ether way, After the first shot, the second shots are never as good as the first one because the game is normally moving.

If you are going to shoot extreme distances you have to be able to do accurate follow up shots so if you have to do a fouling shot before you hunt to get 3 or 4 realy good shots/hits, do a fouling shot if that's what it takes.

J E CUSTOM

If you're firing 2 quick shots it's no longer a "Cold Bore".

Try this.

Shoot one.

Go away.

Come back later. Shoot again.

Reapeat for a total of 3. That will give you a true cold bore comparison.

Spread those shots by at least ten minutes.

If you want, then just try a normal group of 3 at a liesurely pace.

Compare.

Now, simulate an actual hunting situation where the first shot misses or otherwise fails to anchor by firing one, then two in quick succession like you would on an animal running away.

If your normal 3 shot group shot leisurely is beter than your previous quick two shot groups, odds are it's the user hurrying the shots.

You can also do the 3 quick several times and compare to your normal 3 and the two shot groups.

There's no reason a leisurely 3 shot group should not be tighter than anything you're shooting quickly. Groups do not get better with speed.

He waited forty-five minutes between cold bore shots.

I agree, experimenting is fun and educational as well. Now add in there clean cold bore.
Something I would recommend is to do a little dry firing before firing that first round off. If I'm trying to get the most accuracy from a rifle I do this as I can literally feel myself calming down and "see" the results through the scope onto the target.
Personally I never shoot with a clean bore.

I will clean the snot out of one then always shoot a couple of foulers and leave it as is unless I'm putting one away for the year.

I get better consistency that way.

I don't shoot groups other than load development. My cold bore practice is just setting up as I would in the field and shoot mostly at rocks about 1 moa size. First round hits are my goal. Then find a new spot or new target and set up again. Just how I do it.

Most rifle barrels ether like a cold clean barrel or like a fouling shot first and then group well.

I have both and know which ones they are.

Some of my rifles will start out clean and shoot 3 or 4 realy tight hits before fouling starts to effect grouping.

The others will shoot the first round normally high and right and then group the next 4 together so the total group is around 1 MOA counting the first shot. With these rifles I shoot one fouling shot, dry patch and they are ready to go hunting.

With hunting rifles it is important to know what type rifle you have and have it sited in for that first cold bore shot ether way, After the first shot, the second shots are never as good as the first one because the game is normally moving.

If you are going to shoot extreme distances you have to be able to do accurate follow up shots so if you have to do a fouling shot before you hunt to get 3 or 4 realy good shots/hits, do a fouling shot if that's what it takes.

J E CUSTOM
Every rifle I own will put the cold bore shot in the group with the subsequent ones if the bore is fouled. Every bullet I shoot in them is HBN coated. Tubb is right, or I am just lucky I guess.

Read the thread and look at dates.......You are guys are answering a post from 2017....... corey006 Bumped it today with a different test, and different questions.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.