Cold bore shots.

M

Mark sundbo

I have a weatherby vanguard s2 223. Guarenteed 1 moa. Scope bases and rings tight (factory specs). Trying to sight in. 100yds 55gr hp. Three shot group. As expected first shot (cold barrel)is off, 1-1.5 in . Next two touching. Go to 200yds. Cold barrel shot 3 or more inches off the following two shots. The second two shots are about an inch apart. Ok I guess. I tried 64 gr sp again cold barrel shots a couple inches off subsequent shots. As a hunter I sighted the rifle using cold barrel shots. Cold barrel shots at 200 yds still moa. My issue is the second or third shots from a warm barrel shooting multiple varmints. Considerably off. Is there a fix or am I overthinking this.

I had the same problem with my first match rifle and different ammo. Then someone mentioned there was only one of the 3 parts of the system that was changed and suggested I replace one other part. System = rifle + ammo + shooter. It was easier at the time to replace the shooter. So I gave the rifle and ammo to him to shoot.

Problem went away. I was a poor marksman. He watched my techniques then pointed out areas to improve. Specifically, I was flinching and flicking my finger off the trigger on the first shot.

So if you fire one shot then cool to ambient temp and shoot another then cool to ambient temp and shoot a third do the three cold bore shots all shoot to the same point of impact? I had a rifle that did that but if I shot three in a row it would heat up the barrel and open up the group. Turned out it wasn't free floated quite enough.

So if you fire one shot then cool to ambient temp and shoot another then cool to ambient temp and shoot a third do the three cold bore shots all shoot to the same point of impact? I had a rifle that did that but if I shot three in a row it would heat up the barrel and open up the group. Turned out it wasn't free floated quite enough.
This is a good point . Thankyou.

It's common.
Work on the first shot accuracy. This sets your capability.
If you miss, accept that your mark lives another day.
So you might try harder not to miss.

Pictured is an early accuracy test with a competitive tube gun. I do this testing at 200yds (my worst distance), at 10 minute intervals (worst shot rate). The cold/cool single shots were terrible, while a quick follow-up of each grouped well. ANY to follow while warm/hot would group well.
It was a VERY expensive system, that I had a notion of hunting with -until I seen this..
With most guns I can flip this result in favor of cold bore. But here I could see right off that no amount of development would do that.
I sold the gun off immediately and it's very competitive (suiting it's purpose), but having no hunting potential.
6XCcold.jpg

It's common.
Work on the first shot accuracy. This sets your capability.
If you miss, accept that your mark lives another day.
So you might try harder not to miss.

Pictured is an early accuracy test with a competitive tube gun. I do this testing at 200yds (my worst distance), at 10 minute intervals (worst shot rate). The cold/cool single shots were terrible, while a quick follow-up of each grouped well. ANY to follow while warm/hot would group well.
It was a VERY expensive system, that I had a notion of hunting with -until I seen this..
With most guns I can flip this result in favor of cold bore. But here I could see right off that no amount of development would do that.
I sold the gun off immediately and it's very competitive (suiting it's purpose), but having no hunting potential.
View attachment 166172
That looks just like my target/issue

I assume my tube gun issue was because of it being entirely aluminum.
With bedded wooden stocks, and good barrels, cold shot dispersion has been better enough that I could tweak the cold bore load into needed use. With this, I typically give up the tightest grouping (which I don't care about).

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.