Cold Bore Shots

Edd

The paragraph below is copied from the Brown Precision website. Anyone have any experience with the bold part?

If the rifle is bedded properly, most factory barrels will shoot efficiently. In custom barrels, we favor stainless over chrome-moly for the simple reason that the bore will never pit. And accuracy life is greatly extended. Also, with stainless, the first shot out of a cold, clean barrel is more likely to go to the proper point of impact than if shot from a chrome-moly barrel.

I totally disagree
Wonder what they were thinking to say it (context)

Nothing about accuracy can be relied on to just happen. You have to make it accurate

That belongs in the humor section buddy.
The blued steel from the '50's might have shown inferiority to a point, but today's steel is a hell of a lot better. I've shot some **** overbore rounds in blued steel and they've never had any issue keeping up with the ss barrels. I've seen studies that contradict their premise, but I don't remember the reloading rag anymore that did them. Maybe someone with better memory than me can chime in. The gist was that it really made no difference between either steel as to accuracy or bore life as long as the barrels were taken care of properly.

I just commented on this in another thread, ill try to elaborate more in this comment. Im not trying to step on anyones toes as this seems to be a somewhat controversial subject.

Im not going to touch the part about cold bore shots as i dont feel thats as related to barrel material as much as other variables common with rifles.

I once read an article from a chemical engineer who worked for dupont and commented on throat erosion due to the very hot powder charge in the throat of rifle bores. He seemed to think the extreme temperatures and burning chemicals formed a plasma toward the neck of the case which traveled a few inches down the throat. He went on to say he believed the major cause of erosion was a chemical reaction that took place between the plasma and the carbon based steels which actually broke down the surface of the metal, which made it brittle and more easily worn by the following bullets. He believed the stainless barrels resisted this effect better because of their composition and raised melting point.

He also stated the improved surface finish of stainless barrels created less ridges, cracks, and pits for a decreased number of hot spots for these reactions to occur, which typically increased or prolonged accuracy.

As a machinist of ten years i can agree that it is easier to forge, form, and cut stainless with a better surface finish than most if not all mild carbon based steels. This alone is why i would lean to a stainless barrel even if what ive heard about throat erosion turned out to be false.

I will continue to look for the publication that i read this in, because the author was far more intelligent and covered this issue in greater depth than i.

Your right edd that was a foolish thing to say. I seemed to have stumbled on my words a bit.

I meant i didnt want to touch on the problems of cold bore accuracy that affect ss snd carbon steel alike. I only wanted to explain why the manufacturer feels that ss barrels tend to maintain theyre cold bore accuracy better that cs barrels or at least my understanding of why. Which again, i believe, is better surface finish and less throat erosion.

I in no way am degrading iron's ability to be accurate, i own many carbon steel barrels and believe in them fully.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.