Cold Bore Shots from Short Barrel

There was a thread similar to this on the Hide awhile ago. Similar to first round pop, the dynamic interaction of the gas composition and turbulence in the can on the first round is different than subsequent rounds and on some cans/can designs this will cause a POI change for the first round. TBAC cans are supposed to be pretty awesome, from both a precision and suppression standpoint…so for your sake, I hope that's not the case. lol. Mine are all Form 1s so I don't have any experience with other manufacturers and can't really weigh in on that otherwise.

That thread is why I posted in here as well. Curious to see if anyone in a hunting application had noticed something similar, not to have someone tell me what's wrong, like someone else had suggested earlier. I went searching keeping in mind that if I didn't find anything, I'd chalk it up to my error and move on. Then I read that thread and have had some interaction with a few there so I thought it was worth asking the question.

The OP also noted it ONLY in his short barreled rifles (16" and 18") and someone mentioned baffle design of the can he had. He ordered a 338 Ultra hoping to solve the issue. I don't think he has the can just yet based on the timing of his post. He was looking to use his rifles in a hunting application but concerned about the shift and if I remember right, he had noticed it at the range. I haven't noticed first round poi shift with my set up like he had. The only variable that was different here was the cold weather this time. I'm probably chasing a ghost here and should be pointing the finger at myself, but it was uncanny how it happened almost identically to me and my son with two different short barreled rifles, three weeks apart in similar weather and long sits. If you could have videoed it and put both clips side by side, the only thing different would have been the deer in the frame. Need some cold weather to go play, but looks like Texas' summer-winter is in full effect.

When researching suppressors years ago, I came across TBAC and decided that was the way I was going based on the fact that they were designed by long range shooters specifically for bolt guns. I'm leaning towards myself but not sure just yet.

Last edited:
You said it is pretty warm there, but I still think the cold bore mapping would be beneficial (ambient temps with first round of the day). It is a painful process, but worth it.

Please post back and keep us all updated on what you find.

I do remember that thread now you have mentioned it. I guess I need to get out and shoot some more cold bores with my can...