Cold bore high pressure

Have you inspected your bore? Is it possible that something is growing (like rust) between range trips? It might cause higher pressure, especially if your near max and at higher temps, and get "knocked down/smoothed out after the first shot? Maybe a burr that's holding copper that you don't get cleaned out that corrodes with high humidity? Grasping at straws here, baffled.

+1 to Jebels comment; oil. Even a light coat can cause it. We were working with a new wildcat cartridge and measuring case expansion and noticed this. Shots afterwards were fine with exact same load. Even left a small extractor mark on brass.

Try drying your chamber wall and running no oil in bore. Or, at least less oil in bore.

Sounds corny but I wonder if you've an undersize bore, (then the heat from the first shot heats it up enough to expand it near the low-mean dimension)? Just a thought.

Have you tried HBN? Supposed to help with differences between cold shot & remaining shots. I also use it for final pass after cleaning the barrel.

Hi I have never had this problem but I try to limit the amount of solvent coming back into the chamber by using a bore guide that I have attached a cut down a empty fire formed case, granted you can only use it for that gun but it does save overspill into the chamber.

For the most part yes. However this morning I decided chronograph 5 rounds on a dirty barrel. The first load had the bolt stick and light ejector mark. I waited 10 min between shots and the didn't have an issue with the following 4.
He has the same problem without cleaning.

The first thing I would do is chronograph your first shot and then the next 3 or 4 to see if you are getting any velocity spikes then go from there. David

Velocity is fairly consistent with ES around 20 (currently doing load development) and the barrel is new so i doubt that there is rust growing in there. Its only happened once on a dirty barrel. I probably won't get to shoot again until early next week. I plan to shoot on a dirty barrel again then cool and clean and see if it resurfaces. I'll keep posted on what I find.

So yesterday evening I took a couple cold bore shots on a dirty barrel with near max loads. No sticking or ejector marks. I'm thinking maybe the one time it happened on a dirty barrel was an anomaly and I've had run back on solvent during my cleaning process. I'm actually cleaning now making sure to do everything to minimize or eliminate solvent in the chamber. I'm really thing that was my problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.