Cold Bore Challenge

Yes... A confidence killer but it more closely approximates real world conditions that almost any kind of practice you can do... I'm loving it and hope to spend all weekend shooting... :D

Bullets can be very fussy about jacket fouling...change the bullet type and you may need to clean the rifle or at least shoot a few rounds before the point of impact settles down.

The wind at you shooting spot is tough!

I like this kind of shooting, it can be disheartening at time but when hunting season rolls around it pays of!
We spend all summer visiting our elk hunting areas, drive a couple hundred miles for only one shot a piece but you learn more in less time. Last year my buddy went 6 weekends straight cold bore on our plate at 1030 and you could cover the group with your hand, first shot of the hunting season he put his first round within a couple inches of his aim point on an antelope at over 900 yards, cold bore practice paid off for both shooter and spotter!!!

Love it. I need to get a new vid camera as my old one is a ***. I might try and get vid with it Saturday shooting the new matix at distance though. For me, I have been good out to 1050 on first shot cold bore in light winds, but my target size is wolf kill zone which is about 10". The margin for error is better then the 6" plate for sure. I have shot much further but the shots are groups only and none have been 1st round kills as my abilitity to read the wind in the mountains has not been great.

Excellent challenge. I will try and participate too.

my abilitity to read the wind in the mountains has not been great.

I don't think there are very many people that will claim their ability to read wind in the mountains to be great... :D

I know that mine never was and I shot a lot when I lived in Colorado...

Even here in north Florida with the somewhat flat terrain we have I've found that the wind rarely blows consistently the same over a 600yd stretch even on open clear cuts.

Reading the winds is a science that is much more like an art and the SWAG (Scientific Wild *** Guess) is my best chance. :rolleyes:

I'm gonna be hunting ground hogs in Virginia near the Blue Ridge this summer and shots will vary from 200-800yds. I imagine I'll be embarrassed more often than not due to wind and "other factors" that seem to plague that first shot kill any time I get beyond 425yds which seems to somehow be where they get tough for me. Ground hogs sometimes give you another try but not often and rarely 3 unless you're pretty far out and have a lot of time on your hands.

I'm on a break from handloading all day today and I can almost smell the powder I'll be burning in the morning. I was supposed to shoot today but it's raining... <sigh>

$bob$

I like the idea of this. Very cool. I went out this morning and tried one at 675 yrds.

Missed. 8 inches low. Think I will get a little closer next time.

I see a new scope in my future...with 9x max I feel I could use more power at that range. no excuses though.

Did I miss what you are using for optics?

The last 2 days I have been shooting Berger 168 VLD's With RL-15 powder. And that is a load I have NO experience with. I am not blaming the results on that. But check this out

Here are some groups I shot after the Cold Bore shot with my original load with a 168gr SMK with Varget powder and the VLD RL-15

SMK< 5 shots each >VLD

Day #6 is uploading now

Was that Berger load worked up or just a load you loaded about where you thought it would shoot well?

I realigned my scopes on my 223 and 300SAUM and mechanically centered them yesterday and this morning I shot them with loads that have worked well before.

I was very pleased with the results and will be shooting for groups at 100, 200, and 300 if I have time tomorrow morning. I got rained out today but tomorrow looks better. I'll have some wind but then shooting without wind is boring... Well... Sometimes it is... ;)

Good shooting. You should probably stick with the Match Kings. LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.