Cold Barrel Shots

Teri, sorry the "target position change due to angle of the sun" comment I made started to be a distraction on the thread. I would like to speak to it once more though.
1) I found a vid on Youtube, from a Vortex guy, who captures the effect using a spotting scope with a ranging reticle. He captures 9 hrs. of video from 8am to 5pm and then speeds it up. It is easy to see the change of relationship between the reticle and target as the sun moves across the sky.
2) There is also a second vid where an instructor from the Mountain Shooting Center explains the phenomenon as he discusses the importance of a shooting log to capture the rifles zero based on time of day. He then uses a flashlight and scope to explain the effect on a wall.
Hope all who found interest in the "sun angle" theory finds them informative. Vids below.

Teri, sorry the "target position change due to angle of the sun" comment I made started to be a distraction on the thread. I would like to speak to it once more though.
1) I found a vid on Youtube, from a Vortex guy, who captures the effect using a spotting scope with a ranging reticle. He captures 9 hrs. of video from 8am to 5pm and then speeds it up. It is easy to see the change of relationship between the reticle and target as the sun moves across the sky.
2) There is also a second vid where an instructor from the Mountain Shooting Center explains the phenomenon as he discusses the importance of a shooting log to capture the rifles zero based on time of day. He then uses a flashlight and scope to explain the effect on a wall.
Hope all who found interest in the "sun angle" theory finds them informative. Vids below.

HERE ARE THE FACTS...
NOT OPINIONS....
VERY GOOD INFO...

Iron sights. There! LOL
Nailed It.gif

So how do we apply this to a hunting situation where we have no idea what time the animal will present itself or the weather and light conditions at that particular moment in time
If your going to shoot long....I personally consider "long" anything over 500 yds.you need a data book with you.
containing trajectory,wind and sunlight numbers.
HP Silhouette shooting is a great way to realize what trajectory numbers
Are required to knock over targets.A rangefinder is a good help...but does,nt consider wind and light.

Good Evening, Both of these videos show that there is a relationship due to movement of the Sun. That is no news. Ever heard about a Sun Dial? Been around since around 3500 BCE. There is no doubt that the sun moves across the terrain so simply recording the movement in reality does nothing since that is a known given scientific fact. The Sun moves, and if you are looking at it from a stationary point the movement is not only noticeable but predictable. The point that I have been trying to make is that for the shooter shift of the light is relatively irrelevant since the shooter compensates for this drift of light. If there was no compensation as shown on the video then the only time one could shoot straight would be High Noon when there was no moving shadow. We all know that the movement of light across terrain caused bright as well a dim spots in our shooting arena. A skilled marksman knows that with bright light, the target is clearer in their vision. The difference doesn't have anything to do with the rifles zero or expected point of impact, but what your perceive looking through the sights. The rifle zero will not change, the way you look through the rifles sights does. An experienced shooter knows this and adjusts accordingly. In my limited experience...when the light is bright one holds closer, with dim light one cannot accurately discern the point of aim as well with the net result being loser groups and wider misses. My practice is that when target shooting dealing with bright light, to use a center hold since I can discern where the center is. If the sights are aligned and held in the center of the mass the bullet will...when shot...go into the black. With dim light I tend to use a 6 O'Clock hold since I cannot accurately discern where the center of the mass is, but I can see the difference between the white an black on the target. Of course one has to have accurate zero's for both holds which with a tactical rifle scope is easy enough to do. I maintain that light or lack of it does have an effect on accuracy, but it's negligible for an experienced shooter.

If your going to shoot long....I personally consider "long" anything over 500 yds.you need a data book with you.
containing trajectory,wind and sunlight numbers.
HP Silhouette shooting is a great way to realize what trajectory numbers
Are required to knock over targets.A rangefinder is a good help...but does,nt consider wind and light.
Sunlight numbers ????????? .........................

From my experience....
We shoot at 1000 yds.most weds.am,s...when nothing stands in the way.both prone and bench.
My elevation will change up to 1.5 moa from week to week.
That,s a 21.5# gun.284.cal.180 gr.bullet going 2850 ft./sec
That,s a .25 moa gun,I clean after about 100 rnds.