Cold Barrel Shots

Nobody ever said that shadows did not move with changes in the angle of the sun, While a video of this sort shows shifting due to different angles, the all important shooter who would make changes to correct for this was missing. It's easy to prove the shift. Just simply put a stick, the longer the better in the ground and mark the movement of it's shadow on the ground. How do you counteract this shift? You simply move with the shadow.
Nobody ever said that shadows did not move with changes in the angle of the sun, While a video of this sort shows shifting due to different angles, the all important shooter who would make changes to correct for this was missing. It's easy to prove the shift. Just simply put a stick, the longer the better in the ground and mark the movement of it's shadow on the ground. How do you counteract this shift? You simply move with the shadow.
Too get ready for hunting season I clean my rifles verify load zero etc leave it fouled run a light oiled patch down the barrel dry patch it and go hunting checking the bore repeating a light oiled patch and dry patch regardless of being stainless or carbon depending on the conditions hunted in and taking in consideration warm camp cold deer stand condensation I would rather be safe than sorry making sure I didn't corrode my bore than worry about a quarter in point of impact shift

Yes its proven...tests have been done to and targets displayed...
Try this....take the rifle and shoot 1 shot every a.m.use same target.you will see how light,temp.time affect p.o.i.
Temperature will chang poi, but time doesn't. I can take my Browning A-bolt 7mm magnum and put shots within a 1/2" of each other all day long, as long as there isn't a big temperature change. I also re-zero my hunting rifles during big temperature changes.

Shadows are not involved in this. You are the only one bringing 'shadows' into this. Barrelnut explains the phenomenon well, and you may be able to find the video to visualize what he has explained.

Too get ready for hunting season I clean my rifles verify load zero etc leave it fouled run a light oiled patch down the barrel dry patch it and go hunting checking the bore repeating a light oiled patch and dry patch regardless of being stainless or carbon depending on the conditions hunted in and taking in consideration warm camp cold deer stand condensation I would rather be safe than sorry making sure I didn't corrode my bore than worry about a quarter in point of impact shift
I like your style. One thing to keep in mind is condensation whey you bring a cold rifle into a warm cabin or even tent. One thing that I have learned over the years is to simply keep the rifle at a given temperature as much as possible. In other words instead of bringing the rifle inside lock it up in the trunk of your car or the cab of the pickup. It stays cold and there is no issue with condensation.

Like Teri suggests, I also mitigate drop temperature transients with my firearms.

Another thing I do is address ammo temperature changes. In the field, I carry ammo in my front pants pocket.
Yeah, it's down by my junk, and my body is regulating the temps there really well (whether hot or cold out).
Given this, I do the same during load development, pulling one shell at a time from pants pockets.
Of course,, I shoot all rifles single shot, so that helps.

Like Teri suggests, I also mitigate drop temperature transients with my firearms.

Another thing I do is address ammo temperature changes. In the field, I carry ammo in my front pants pocket.
Yeah, it's down by my junk, and my body is regulating the temps there really well (whether hot or cold out).
Given this, I do the same during load development, pulling one shell at a time from pants pockets.
Of course,, I shoot all rifles single shot, so that helps.
In the event that you do not fire single shot, you can keep a loaded magazine in a shirt pocket inside your hunting coat. Only works if you hunt where you have time to access and load the magazine into the rifle prior to shooting. On the downside you have no idea what the actual temperature of the ammunition is going to be. While I am a stickler for pin point accuracy on the range when hunting I realize that the conditions are variable and don't always allow for this. The target area however is bigger than 1 MOA so if the rifle shoots 1 MOA or less there should not be an issue with missing the target whatever it is. I keep my rifle loaded, so the ammunition is at the same temperature as the action is. I do however confirm my zero with the actual ammunition I am going to be using in the same temperatures that I am going to be hunting. It's not a perfect solution but so far it has, much to the dismay of many deer worked very well.

X-2, I have shot critters at all times throughout the day I have never worried about the sun or clouds, For competitive shooting it may be something to worry with but for LRH IMO it's just another wormhole of distraction, I do appreciate all of the insight and no offense intended towards anyone

I like your style. One thing to keep in mind is condensation whey you bring a cold rifle into a warm cabin or even tent. One thing that I have learned over the years is to simply keep the rifle at a given temperature as much as possible. In other words instead of bringing the rifle inside lock it up in the trunk of your car or the cab of the pickup. It stays cold and there is no issue with condensation.
This is a good practice to follow with your rifle. I found out the hard way that it doesn't work so well with my hunting boots. I left them in the bed of the pickup, and the next morn they were frozen stiff as a board.....between the moisture from my feet and frost that night it did a number on them.....lol
Seriously keeping the rifle at a stable temp has its benefits.

Teri, sorry the "target position change due to angle of the sun" comment I made started to be a distraction on the thread. I would like to speak to it once more though.
1) I found a vid on Youtube, from a Vortex guy, who captures the effect using a spotting scope with a ranging reticle. He captures 9 hrs. of video from 8am to 5pm and then speeds it up. It is easy to see the change of relationship between the reticle and target as the sun moves across the sky.
2) There is also a second vid where an instructor from the Mountain Shooting Center explains the phenomenon as he discusses the importance of a shooting log to capture the rifles zero based on time of day. He then uses a flashlight and scope to explain the effect on a wall.
Hope all who found interest in the "sun angle" theory finds them informative. Vids below.

Teri, sorry the "target position change due to angle of the sun" comment I made started to be a distraction on the thread. I would like to speak to it once more though.
1) I found a vid on Youtube, from a Vortex guy, who captures the effect using a spotting scope with a ranging reticle. He captures 9 hrs. of video from 8am to 5pm and then speeds it up. It is easy to see the change of relationship between the reticle and target as the sun moves across the sky.
2) There is also a second vid where an instructor from the Mountain Shooting Center explains the phenomenon as he discusses the importance of a shooting log to capture the rifles zero based on time s them informative. Vids a spotting

2) There is also a second vid where an instructor from the Mountain Shooting Center explains the phenomenon as he discusses the importance of a shooting log to capture the rifles zero based on time of day. He then uses a flashlight and scope to explain the effect on a wall.
Hope all who found interest in the "sun angle" theory finds them informative. Vids below.

A spotting scope might do that, but not a rifle scope.

Recent Posts