COL question

hubee_7j

If the COL is shorter (bullet seated deeper) will the velocity be more or less than if its not seated as deep ? And why ? Also I'm shooting a 308win with 168 amax how far off the lands should I be. Right now it looks like .115 of an inch is that ok?? Thanks for any input!

"If the COL is shorter (bullet seated deeper) will the velocity be more or less than if its not seated as deep ? And why ?"

It depends on several variables, including powder burn rate, bore size, bullet weight, case volume, how far off the lands you are seating. Other than that, it's no problem. !! :D

"Also I'm shooting a 308win with 168 amax how far off the lands should I be. Right now it looks like .115 of an inch is that ok?? Thanks for any input!"

If it works, it's good. No one can honestly tell you how far off the lands you should be. ??

All other things being equal, the pressure will be less and thus the velocity will be less the deeper you seat

pressuregraph.jpg

Barnes did some tests

http://www.barnesbullets.com/resources/newsletters/september-2007-barnes-bullet-n/

Pressuregraph1.jpg

Down at the bottom of this page Hornady has some info

Internal Ballistics - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

Also IME, velocity decreases with increased seating depth.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.