Coating surgeon action?

Powerstroke73

Posted this in another forum and not sure if that was the correct forum or not. So here it is again.

My original plan was to use an older Remington 700 receiver I had laying around for a 300 Mag build. I've since settled on a surgeon 1086 action instead. It comes in the white unfinished. What would be the best way to finish the receiver? Blueing, duracoat, cerakote, parkerizing etc...? What about finishing the inside of the action? I'd like it to be as smooth as possible. Thanks

73, had a barreled action, bottom metal, bolt, trigger guard, scope mounts and all screws Cerakoted in 2010. Still like new and has been used a lot. Bolt cycles smoothly and screws stay coated after torquing. Originally the rifle was blued, but showed rust signs after a wet hunt so I went with the Cerakote.

The best finish is NP3 Plus. It will coat the action inside and out. It will be smoother and more corrosion resistant than anything else you can use. A Surgeon has enough clearance so you won't have to be concerned about the plating making it too tight.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.