CO - Gray Wolf Reintroduction eNews Edition

I'm from Minnesota, we have more wolves than any other state, mostly in the northern half of the state. We have always had some wolves but a lot more since the nineties. Your deer, elk, whatever, will adapt to the wolves after a while. Having said that, there are areas here that are very difficult to deer hunt because there are so many wolves.
We have no hunting season as of this date.
Funny thing is that the wolf population has stabilized in the last 5 to 10 years. Think hunters and cattle farmers here have decided to take things into their own hands.
The humane society is the main driving force behind expanding wolves across the country.
I'm all for having wolves as long as we can control the population to a reasonable level.

It isn't the wolves fault. Please use expanding bullets and put them behind or through the shoulders...when appropriately licensed with a valid tag of course.
The whole point is these are being forced upon us so I agree with half of your statement it is not the wolves fault I believe they should be killed as humanely as possible now the license and valid tag it's kind of the point of SSS

I hope this doesn't violate one of Len's rules for this forum.......if so, please forgive and delete.

We just got through selling our property in Park County (about an hour and a half west of Denver) because of the "Greenies". Since the COVID-19 pandemic, the demand for real estate in the rural high country far exceeds the supply and the prices are out of this world. The liberals on the Eastern Slope and those migrating out of California come to the area bringing all their crazy ideas about "hunting is evil" and "guns kill people". It got to the point that NextDoor social media would be flooded with negative comments every time there was a gunshot heard about how disrespectful it was and to "respect other people's opinions". Got tired of it and decided to let them have it and look for property where "loony-tunes" are not allowed. There is lots of National Forest and public ground in Park County that provides natural habitat for elk, deer, moose, etc. Now there is some lawyer that moved to the area that is lobbying to have Colorado Parks and Wildlife implement a "no hunting" buffer of 50-100 yards around all subdivisions and wants the National Forest Rangers and local sheriff to police the areas and fine anyone found with a gun in this buffer zone. Craziest thing I have heard since a lot of us own property that border the National Forest and walk out our back door to go hunting. I can just imagine these people calling the sheriff or CPW to check out things every time they hear a shot or see someone walking in this buffer zone with a gun. Next comes the tax increase to provide staffing to police these areas. When is this craziness going to stop? We all have to exercise our voting rights in 2022 and beyond before our great Country is destroyed from within.

Last edited:
I'm all for having wolves as long as we can control the population to a reasonable level.
Therein lies the problem! It really doesn't matter what the population becomes, they will be considered "natural predators" of the "natural food chain" therefore hunting is not required to control animal populations nor control the wolf populations.

Last edited:
Therein lies the problem! It really doesn't matter what the population becomes, they will be considered "natural predators" of the "natural food chain" therefore hunting is not required to control animal populations nor control the wold populations.
Hunting has become a neccessary and valuable tool in Montana, Idaho and Wyoming. And it will be anywhere there are wolves. Panic if you want, it just isn't needed. I don't know the specifics of the Colorado situation, but a management plan is going to be important. 406muley

I'm from Minnesota, we have more wolves than any other state, mostly in the northern half of the state. We have always had some wolves but a lot more since the nineties. Your deer, elk, whatever, will adapt to the wolves after a while. Having said that, there are areas here that are very difficult to deer hunt because there are so many wolves.
We have no hunting season as of this date.
Funny thing is that the wolf population has stabilized in the last 5 to 10 years. Think hunters and cattle farmers here have decided to take things into their own hands.
The humane society is the main driving force behind expanding wolves across the country.
Buddy has told me that Wisconsin has the same problem. Whitetail hunting has taken it in the shorts. He said some are starting to SSS.

I've taken one Wolf here in Wyoming, but we have only had a season a few years now. A collared female in the Thorofare.

As we were headed back home, we were getting fuel and a local rancher asked if we were elk hunting and if we had any luck. All I could tell him is that we have not seen near as many elk like in the past, but I did take a Wolf. His response "kill'em all" he had lost some cattle mostly calves to wolves.

Since the wolves were introduced into Yellowstone back in 1995, It seems like it took about 15 years or so and then we noticed that the elk herds along with moose have been impacted.
The wolves have expanded their range outside of the park, and from Yellowstone south there have been confirmed sightings as far south as the Redfeather lakes area in Colorado.
It's coming, the wolves will push themselves into areas where your pets, not only livestock will be killed.

Like someone here said before the wolves are already in Colorado. Good luck with all the bs that comes with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts