CO Fall Bear Huntin

Congrats on getting a bear. There are some acorns in this area but I've seen no berries of any kind.

Not sure what the local bears are eating but we regularly see bears-in-backyard new stories on the local news and the City of Aspen Police say they have bears in town every night so their natural food sources are probably not plentiful.

One thing about CO Fall bear hunting season is seeing the fall colors, being out in great weather, and elk season is next.....

Its a R700 P built by APA in 338 LM with a 28" barrel plus the brake. I got it back about 10 days before the season and haven't had time to dial in a load. So far I've gotten sub MOA groups out to 600 with factory HSM 300 grain Bergers and a NF 5.5-22 so I'm happy with the rifle's performance for now. This winter I'll get some of the brass I'm producing and work up a load using the excellent info I've found on here. Thanks reloaders!

However, my next project will be a lighter weight rifle...lightbulb

Was curious what contour your barrel is? Any idea how much the rifle/scope weighs all together? That must be a fun gun to shoot, some day I will get a big 338.

That certainly is a great vantage point you are set up on. And I would dare to say that you really need a comfy pair of workout pants to go along with your slippers. :D

Was curious what contour your barrel is? Any idea how much the rifle/scope weighs all together? That must be a fun gun to shoot, some day I will get a big 338.

That certainly is a great vantage point you are set up on. And I would dare to say that you really need a comfy pair of workout pants to go along with your slippers. :D

I don't know the contour, its about .81" or so just before the brake measuring with my cheap calipers and the rifle with scope and mag (empty) weight in at 16 lbs on bathroom scale.

My wife got behind rifle, prone with bipods, and her only comment after the first shot was "give me another bullet". So it is fun to shoot especially if someone else is buying the ammo.:D

If you can get up on a rock rim with enough room to set up it is about as flat and solid as you can get and that's worth a lot in canyon country. If you can get up there in slippers and comfy pants that's priceless!:cool:

Jack

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts