CO Bear Sept 2012

Dalebow

I drew my CO bear rifle tag, I originally was going to use one rifle my 257 weatherby but I am going to use that for the second leg of my trip for NM Antelope. Iam going to use either a 300wsm, Blaser R8 300win mag, or my Dakota 280 AI for the bear.
Really leaning towards the 280 AI with my 140gr TTSX:D

Sure is a rough life when you have to make such tough decisions.:D

I'll be getting an over the counter bear tag this year, depending on which elk tag I draw. There's as bear that has been scavenging our downed elk the past few years and finally am going to put an end to it.

Will be shooting a 210 TTSX out of my 338-300wsm.

Have you ever tried the Barnes 145 LRX our of your 280 AI? Have not heard of anybody shooting that bullet yet, but seems like it would be a great bullet for any 7mm.

I have not shot the LRX 145 but that may be exactly what I load, that sounds like a good bullet to try.

Yeah it is a horrible problem to have:D What is cool is it counts as a B tag where I drew so I can still get an OTC Bear for my first season Elk hunt in OCT, I love CO in October:D

I bet your 280 AI would shoot that 168 LRX great. Barnes still has not released a ballistic coefficient but I would guess it will be somewhere at least in the mid .5xx range... The makings for phenomenal long range elk medicine!

And yes, Fall in CO is as good as it gets. :)

Make sure to post some pics of your hunt and I'll do the same!

Straight from the website, I think I will try the 127 in my 6.5 creedmore too.

CaliberWeightDescriptionS.D.B.C.6.5mm127 grainBoattail .260.4687mm168 grain Boattail *requires a 1:9 twist.298.550338 Lapua280 grainBoattail.350.667

I drew a September tag this year also. Debating between the .338 Win Mag with 225 gr NAB, and the 6.5-284 with 140 grain Berger. Leaning toward the 6.5 because all I have killed with it so far is a couple antelope. The .338 has quite a death toll to its credit already.

Dalebow, given your line up I would probably go with the .280 AI Dakota also. Always loved that cartridge.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.