CO 1st Rifle -Elk Only *1 and a wake up

jackem

Today I'm packing gear and getting excited about the upcoming elk hunt with my two adult sons and a grandson. That's about as good as it gets in my book.:)

However, on a cautionary note, Eastern Utah and Western Colorado are under a winter storm watch for the first time this year. This one looks like a warm Pacific low pressure system that will bring snow only down to about the 8000 ft level and mud everywhere below that. Rain starting Thursday night through Friday possibly turning to snow early Saturday morning for the start of the season. Drought to swamp...

Looks like Mother Nature is making traveling more adventurous which should give the elk the advantage to start the season off.

Good luck (and watch the weather) to all that are heading out this weekend!

Jack

didn't you know it has to rain setting and breaking camp on the western side, has for more years than I care to remember. Hope you are in camp before it hits and stay safe. Were not leading out till next week and already looks like rain the day before we head in for some more mud but wouldn't miss it for anything. can't wait to smell the quakies again..

didn't you know it has to rain setting and breaking camp on the western side, has for more years than I care to remember. Hope you are in camp before it hits and stay safe. Were not leading out till next week and already looks like rain the day before we head in for some more mud but wouldn't miss it for anything. can't wait to smell the quakies again..

It does seem like you could predict a storm on opening weekend every year and be as accurate as the the weather service is the rest of the year...

I camped every weekend up in the happy hunting grounds through Sept bear season and enjoyed it immensely. This 5 day season I'm camping at my son's house, he lives about an hour from where we hunt and my daughter-in-law is a great cook and loves to cook my favorites.

I don't think I'll ever grow up 'cause I still like to be spoiled :D

Good luck in the second season, I was lucky enough to get a left over cow tag for that season so I'll be back out there that week too.

Jack

....................................................This 5 day season I'm camping at my son's house, he lives about an hour from where we hunt and my daughter-in-law is a great cook and loves to cook my favorites.

I don't think I'll ever grow up 'cause I still like to be spoiled :D
Jack

WOW!!!!!! Kid, You sure do have it made. + you only have to spend about $50 on push water to go hunt. I love it so much I drive 42 hours one way (at 11 mpg rate) just to hear the Yellow noise makers twist in the wind and smell "dem nasty ELK". Enjoy the family, I only been lucky enough to have both boys along once... back in 1998. Hope to get the better half and Daughter and SIL out next year...I owe her one too.

I'm sure by now you have nailed that wind thing and are ready to lock – n – load. Sorry bout that 99% humidity thing you might run into this W/E but we both agree it ain't no big deal, except if you forget to wipe your feet before supper time.:cool:

Good luck. Hope all 4 of you wack one and can drive to the spot. Just be safe cause you got all the gold with you.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.