CMP Warning - .30/06 Ammo & M1 Garands, 1903s, and 1903A3s

Frog4aday

I just got this e-mail from the CMP today regarding the use of .30-06 ammo in M1 Garands, 1903s, and 1903A3s.
Basically, don't hot rod your ammo and be careful what factory ammo you run through them.
1618935777461.png

I just got this e-mail from the CMP today regarding the use of .30-06 ammo in M1 Garands, 1903s, and 1903A3s.
Basically, don't hot rod your ammo and be careful what factory ammo you run through them.
View attachment 269166
This should be a known to everyone who owns or shoots vintage US Military Rifles. Commercial .30/06 is NOT the same as Ball M2, the ammunition the M1 Garand was designed for. Ball M2 is also good for the high number Springfield 03 and the 03/A3. (High number Springfield has a serial number above 800,000, Rock Island 03 above 285,507)

I read the CMP post and thought, "Isn't this pretty well known?" Then I thought with all the 'new' gun owners from the past year, maybe it was a worthwhile reminder. I like your follow up post @shortgrass - good to help people differentiate what is okay and what is not in these mil surp guns.
Lots of new shooters. And with ammo in short supply some may think all .30/06 is the same. I still see low number Springfield brought into my shop, and their owners don't know there was a change in heat treat making for high serial number an low serial number rifles. In the low number the carbon may have been 'burned' out of the steel during heat treat, making for a brittle action. Too powerful of loads or too heavy a bullet in the Garand might bend the operating rod. Not a cheep (low cost) part to replace. There is modern ammo produced for these rifles by Federal and Hornady, and maybe Sellior & Belloit loaded for the M1 Rifle. (hard to find, like all ammo right now!)

Bent op rods & brittle receivers...always something to consider, isn't there? @shortgrass you are certainly doing your part to get the word out. I think the Hornady reloading manual has a section just for reloading for Service Rifles.

The right answer is M2 ball ammo if one doesn't reload, but that was getting hard to find even prior to this latest ammo famine. Shortgrass pointed out some commercial options if one can't find M2.

Hopefully these posts help keep someone from getting hurt or damaging their rifle. It's all fun & games until someone loses an eye. Or a receiver. Or an op-rod.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.